THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have had memberships at both. Primary stores were the Costco on Stephenson and the Sams at 13 & JohnR. Let both memberships lapse but have thought about renewing one.

Was talking with a friend yesterday about meat shops. He and his wife both come from families that were in the meat & butchering business. He said, except for high price shops, Meijer and Sams Club have the best meat for the buck.

Have had memberships at both. Primary stores were the Costco on Stephenson and the Sams at 13 & JohnR. Let both memberships lapse but have thought about renewing one.

Was talking with a friend yesterday about meat shops. He and his wife both come from families that were in the meat & butchering business. He said, except for high price shops, Meijer and Sams Club have the best meat for the buck.

I loves me some meijer. Nice produce section, deli, and bakery for a super store. Decent ethnic food aisle. Meat is great. Fresh, not enhanced, for a reasonable price. All their beef is CAB too.

Also I forgot to mention in the last post...... If you are buying a fair quantity of meat...

All four stores, Sam's, BJ's, Costco, and Restaurant Depot have case price discounts on meats. If the case price is not listed, just ask in the meat department.

I get my pork at Sam's, I have been to Costco with a friend, but wasn't impressed with their prices in my area. I get my chicken from a local grocery chain-my buddy is a store manager and I can order in whatever I want. Briskets and beef, local butcher- 3 day wait on any custom cut but worth the wait since it is local and fresh. We also have a food distributor that has a retail store. Their meat is fair priced but you can get somethings that you don't see anywhere else- like tri tips, they aren't popular here. Wally World about an hour from me stocks fuller packers, but the local one does not.

agreed but...

I have never seen a packer brisket at Meijer.
Don't shop at Meijer often...maybe a few times a year. Stopped there a couple months ago to see if they had brisket. Only corned flats.

Guy behind the counter was apologetic and suggested going to Eastern Market. That wasn't an option on my way home from work at 6pm Friday evening.

Ended up going to Bozek's in Sterling Heights (north of 18 Mile on Van Dyke). Nice little shop with a huge walk-in meat cooler. Brisket was good.

I loves me some meijer. Nice produce section, deli, and bakery for a super store. Decent ethnic food aisle. Meat is great. Fresh, not enhanced, for a reasonable price. All their beef is CAB too.
Don't forget Save-a-lot. Thes ribs were 1.49/ lb on sale last weekend.
spares_zps0319a520.jpg

They post their circular on line.

I did some consulting work in MI about a year ago in the Detroit area for some Meijer stores. One in Lavonia and one in Ann Arbor. I was pretty impressed considering it is a regional family owned market.

I did some consulting work in MI about a year ago in the Detroit area for some Meijer stores. One in Lavonia and one in Ann Arbor. I was pretty impressed considering it is a regional family owned market.

Yes I agree. But they are so much more than a market. Think of it as Walmart with a soul.

I have both. Like others have said, it really depends on your location, so try to tour both if possible, if your only going to commit to one. My Costco has boneless pork butts for less than the bone-ins at Sams; Costco also has prime whole packers for 3.89/lb as of today. For some odd reason, walmart will often have cheaper packers than Sams, however they're usually select.

Back