THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
I am using a WSM and want to pack the charcaol ring with small lump - golf ball sized pieces or even smaller. How the heck do I get this stuff to burn clean?

My experience is to use the bigger pieces in bags for minion method and the smaller pieces are used for grilling. Too much dirty charcoal smoke when I try to use the smaller pieces unlit in my kettles. Now I am using a 22.5 WSM and going through a tonne of charcaol compared to my 2 kettles and I now have far too many small pieces. I scavenged the large pieces and am left with about 30 pounds of golf ball sized pieces from 3, 17 pound bags....2 RO blue and 1 Big Green Egg bag. If I pack these into the charcoal ring of my WSM and light er' up I am almost sure there will be dark smoke and nothing but....am I correct? Is there any way to avoid this?

If I am to be stuck using only the large pieces I can get in bags of charcoal then I will be in financial trouble in short order.

Not sure what to tell you, I don't experience this with lump at all which is why I use it. I pour the whole bag into the charcoal ring, big and small pieces. The little smoke I get from the lump itself is good looking and smelling so I approve of it.

Don't close up the high hat until it is burning clean! I run Lump as my cook fuel in the UDS and my Weber OTS and MINI. I have never had a Dirty fire unless it is not getting enough air. I break up the really big pieces and it all goes in the basket small stuff, dust and all, if it is in the bag it gets used. I light up a set # of cheap AZZ briquettes in the chimney and dump on top once the snappin & popin dies down a little and Blue smoke rises ( about 7-10 min) I put on the top & dial 'er in. Soup to nuts about 20 min the meat is on the grate.

Bludawg has it. Also I just wait it out no matter what. If she don't pass the eye AND the nose test ain't nuthin' gettin put on my smoker. I think patience is your best weapon here.

Don't close up the high hat until it is burning clean! I run Lump as my cook fuel in the UDS and my Weber OTS and MINI. I have never had a Dirty fire unless it is not getting enough air. I break up the really big pieces and it all goes in the basket small stuff, dust and all, if it is in the bag it gets used. I light up a set # of cheap AZZ briquettes in the chimney and dump on top once the snappin & popin dies down a little and Blue smoke rises ( about 7-10 min) I put on the top & dial 'er in. Soup to nuts about 20 min the meat is on the grate.

When you write "don't close up the high hat".....what is the high hat?

When you write "once the snappin & popin dies down a little and Blue smoke rises ( about 7-10 min) I put on the top"......are talking about the lid being the "top"?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Back