Saigon 21 Got The Call For Ribs

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
Love this rub for ribs. Thanks to KC Mike of Oak Ridge BBQ again.

Son is in town from LA for his birthday. He had several friends over yesterday to celebrate. Did 3 racks on the WSM with applewood smoke. Hit the ribs with light K-Salt and this rub.

kIbd6Ig.jpg

Turned out Great! Topped with a little Blues Hog.

DYambxW.jpg

One of the guest turned out to be an Executive Chef. He is also a PitMaster. He works on 1000 propane gallon stick burners just like Aaron Franklin. He has attended one of Aaron Franklin's courses. He showed me a video of one of his briskets coming off the pit. My God! His came off the pit wrapped in pink butcher paper. I asked if he used beef tallow and he said I used to. Now when he trims a brisket he saves all the leftover fat and renders it down on the pit to get smoke. Then uses it to coat the paper before wrapping. I've got about 100 more questions for him.

To get an "I Love These Ribs!" from him was a Real compliment. Of course I told him the credit goes to the BBQ Brethren. :thumb:

Thanks for Lookin' !

Interesting combo. The sauce didn't overpower the rub?

What else did you end up serving? I know that was recently discussed, so how did you end up on the quantities for everyone?

Looks good, I've been pondering what it'd be like on some ribs. I figured probably pretty good, maybe with a teriyaki or gochujang inspired sauce or glaze. I could see Blues Hog complimenting well too.

Great ribs and great way to represent the Brethren to a bona fide Bbq cook! :eusa_clap

I enjoyed Saigon 21 on some recent spares but will apply a little more next time, the long ride in the smoke mellowed the flavor, a little at the end of the cook may make the ribs pop more for me next time. Just another reason to cook more ribs!

Attachments

• 8613CB1F-D01E-4D30-BDFA-7C7C8A2566FD.jpg
    8613CB1F-D01E-4D30-BDFA-7C7C8A2566FD.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 70C2C9BF-74D6-41D7-BE00-9378F830BB8F.jpg
    70C2C9BF-74D6-41D7-BE00-9378F830BB8F.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 149

What else did you end up serving? I know that was recently discussed, so how did you end up on the quantities for everyone?

I went heavy on the rub and light on the Blues Hog. They actually melded quite well together.

Glad the ribs were a hit, Mike - they sure look great! Always a positive thing to get some validation from a pitmaster. Wonder if he uses any of Mike's products?

Glad the ribs were a hit, Mike - they sure look great! Always a positive thing to get some validation from a pitmaster. Wonder if he uses any of Mike's products?

That is one of the many questions I have for him. :wink:

TJ, in your OP I missed the last part of your question (Getting Old). We served mac & cheese, green beans and rolls per Son's birthday request. Plus cake of course. They were chowhounds. Maybe 4-5 ribs apiece. Had ribs left over. 3 racks turned out to be just right for this crowd. :thumb:

Back