THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your ring should easily last you longer than 6 hours. I would recommend the following:
- Check to make sure your lid is not out of shape
- Use a pizza stone, fire bricks, or sand instead of water for thermal mass
- Try to keep the lid closed as much as possible

My lid is fine. The lid is not all closed due to the wires for the maverick.
I was hoping to get 12 hours from a snake. Really hard to get more charcoal in

I'm predicting a UDS by 3 to 1.
If a UDS can smoke food much better than a kettle "grill" then sure why not?

There's certainly no rule that says it has to be one or the other. If i didn't have my Big Poppa that does both then I'd smoke on a UDS and sear/grill on a kettle.

"The lid is not all closed due to the wires for the maverick. "

That's a little bit of it anyways.....

Standard burn for me is about 10~11+ hours....two, with one or sometimes two, with wood chunks, with some small otherwise useless lump chips sprinkled on top of the outside edge of the chain....against the bell.....
Like so :

3-6-2013Beef005.jpg

3-6-2013Beef006.jpg

Top vent all open, always (pinched in some rare circumstances, but not usually long cooks) bottom vents anywhere from half open on down to just a little open, depending on :

~outside air temp
~desired cooking temp
~type of charcoal actually used
~outside humidity, rain, etc.
~bigness of meat (that's a biggie, sometimes)

But like this set....it just trundled along @ 260 or so....

10-8-13PTampBrisket020.jpg

Burned around, so just added in another length of coals.....only takes a minute or two, doesn't have to be perfect & finishes the cookup just fine....

10-8-13PTampBrisket024.jpg

10-8-13PTampBrisket025.jpg

Sometimes, it just runs straight thru with no adding in.......depends on if I get around to checking where the vents are set or not...

9 hours straight thru :

On at 9:30 PM........
......off at 6:30 AM
MrsBuckiesChicken4-25-2013040.jpg

^^^^ That's a common sight at the Kettle Orphanage here.....

After the kettle's heated, 5~6 coals SHOULD produce about 240f thru the area......so it's possible you're losing some from the wires....usually i wouldn't think that's much of a deal, but maybe....?

lifting the lid a lot goofs things up, even though it will recover quickly..............:cool:

Back