Royal Oak Briquettes at Lowe's

I hit Costco today and picked up some of the Kingsford Pro on sale. 2X 18 lbs bags for 24.69, minus $6.20 = $18.49. That's .514 a pound. Menards has Original Kingsford, 2x18 for 18.98, minus the 11% is 16.89.

Costco had "Cowboy Oak and Hickory" lump, 34 lbs, for $26. That's .764. I think I have an old bag of that.

I need to try the Cowboy briquettes at walmart and make a decision before sales end. My local walmart doesn't stock it.

Throwback time. This was some price chatter here, back in 2019. Oh jeez. Wait a minute - this post I found with prices was by me. Still a good reference, fwiw:

Costco: 2x bags of pro kingsford at 18 lbs per bag is $19.99 regular, -$6 for the sale. So that's $0.388/lbs.

Costco's giant 35 lbs bag of Cowboy lump for $20 is a nice deal. Texas size bag!

My local Lowes has 11 lbs bags of Kingsford pro for $4.94, $0.449/lbs. That is nearly gone.
They also have 15.4 lbs bags of RO classic briquettes for $4.00, that's $0.26/lbs. Best deal in my area.

Btw, the Kingsford Costco sale goes 'until July 2'

I used the Kingsford Pro to make chicken thighs in the 22" kettle this weekend. It seemed to burn a bit quick. Smoke smell was okay - not the more acrid that I tend to associate with Kingsford.

I did some searches on quicker burn, and how it compares to regular KBB. I found a great comparison that looked at that, residual ash, etc. It also found the Pro burns more quickly.

Edit: I just checked with my local Lowes. The Royal Oak sale last day is July 5. A number of folks say those super size briqs said they produce a lot of ash. Example:

"The Royal Oak Super Size leaves a lot of ash. They are good for slow and low snake method at low temperatures but leave powdery ghost briquette shaped ashes behind that don’t fall through the grate. Despite this, I use them because they work somehow and I picked them up for 37 cents a pound."

Guess I need to grab a bag of the cowboy lump at costco, and order some cowboy briqs from walmart.

Last edited:
Back