THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bproffer

Take a breath!
I quoted a dinner for 300 and they have asked if I could do rice pilaf as one of the sides. I am not a huge fan of rice pilaf, especially having to make it for 300 people.

Do any of you knowledgeable brethren have a good rice pilaf recipe that can be scaled to 300 servings? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as well.

Do you own a rice cooker? I would guess that to cook that much rice, you would want an automated rice cooker. You are looking at needing 1/2 cup per person, that means 150 cups of rice.

Depending on your kitchen, I'd probably just do it in the oven or steamer.25-30 portions per hotel pan, one 6in sixth pan of uncooked rice makes 1 2in hotel pan.

We ended up sub-contracting out the rice to a local Mediterranean restaurant. They gave us a pretty good deal and the rice was fantastic. It cost us more than it would had we made it ourselves, but I think in the end it was worth it. Perfectly cooked rice, no stress and no need to buy or rent additional equipment.

Back