%^*~#! Ribs!

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Ok, I give! Will someone on this site teach me how to smoke ribs?!

I have tried 7 ways from Sunday. Wrapping, not wrapping. 225, 250, 275.
3-2-1 yada yada yada.

I can cook butts with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back :becky:
But ribs are cutting my :tape::doh:

Smoke at 275
Wrap and spritz with Apple cider vinager at hour 2
Unwrap 30 minutes before finishing and bast.
Bite threw everytime

Here is a method that works and is just about as simple as it gets. Run the ribs indirect at 275 degrees until they pass the bend test. When they pass the bend test they are done and will still be moist. No wrapping, no voodoo, no magic. Just good results. If you pull them just as they pass the bend test, there is almost no way for them to be dry. You can certainly use other methods to get great results, wrapping included. But there is nothing required to get moist ribs except quality meat and not over cooking them.

This works for me, pretty consistent and lots of requests.

@275
2 hours then wrap (butter, brown sugar, honey) for 1 hr. Remove from foil and return for half hour. Check for doneness if needed return for up to 30 minutes. Very light coat of sauce (spicy to counter the wrap) last ten minutes.

Yes, of course. I'm sorry. I should have said. It's tenderness. It eludes me 9 out of 10 times.

I'm trying to find a procedure that works time and time again.

Toothpick test. Works every time. Insert a toothpick vertically between the bones. When it goes through like warm butter, they're done. Too much resistance, keep cooking for another 20 minutes and check again. Works on BB's and spares.

Yes, of course. I'm sorry. I should have said. It's tenderness. It eludes me 9 out of 10 times.

I'm trying to find a procedure that works time and time again.

Boil them... Ducks, runs away. Just kidding, sound advice here.

On the top grate of an 18.5" WSM, place your ribs in a rib rack. Smoke for 6 hours at 250 degrees.
Remove from pit.
Cut.
Enjoy.

This is how I do mine
pit at 275-300
bones down
pass the bend test
Loin backs 3-3.5 hrs, St Lou's 4-4.5 hrs Full spares 4.5- 5 hrs
DSCF0200.jpg

I have tried 7 ways from Sunday. Wrapping, not wrapping. 225, 250, 275.
3-2-1 yada yada yada.

new guy opinion, but....

i would suggest trying to adjust 1 step at a time, pick a temp you like? (275 for me) and use that temp as your standard, then decide whether you will be wrapping or not? now you just have dial in your cook times to match your system. might be easier to make 1 or 2 adjustments as you go than to switch it all up everytime.

Back