Ribs burning on UDS. ANY IDEAS??

Never thought about hanging the racks once wrapped, duh. How do you secure the foil packs poke them thru the folded foil?

I have only had one or two foil pieces fall off and that was when I forgot to poke a drip hole in them. The weight of the renderings pulled the foil off. You could use a skewer through the rib and foil to secure it but I have not found that necessary as long a s the foil is crumpled around the ribs.

Never have owned or used a 55 gal vert. smoker....Question I have is heat distribution when you cook the ribs by hanging them. Average length of slab = 18" +/-....on my cabinet smoker the heat at the top rack can be as much as 20 degrees higher than the lowest.....stands to reason the end closest to the fire would cook faster....and when you flip them same thing.....so the middle portion of the rack at proper int. temp.....would seem to lend itself to overcooked ends. Is this a problem you can smokers have already found a solution for?

I've never noticed the bottom of the ribs, chicken or tri tip cooking faster. I cook halves dark meat down, meaty end of the rib and tri tips down, Seems to work out. BUT, the theory is, the juices running pout of the meat cool the lower portion. What ever, however, it works.

Never have owned or used a 55 gal vert. smoker....Question I have is heat distribution when you cook the ribs by hanging them. Average length of slab = 18" +/-....on my cabinet smoker the heat at the top rack can be as much as 20 degrees higher than the lowest.....stands to reason the end closest to the fire would cook faster....and when you flip them same thing.....so the middle portion of the rack at proper int. temp.....would seem to lend itself to overcooked ends. Is this a problem you can smokers have already found a solution for?
This is in my Down East Beast. Reverse flow. Yes the top portion gets a bit more heat. But they still cook quite even. NO flipping!

Hangin in a UDS. The thin bottoms can get a bit crispy, mostly depending on how close to the coals the ends hang. I'm talking 2" or less. But other than that they cook quite even.

The philosophy (as I recall) is to keep the meat at 24" (ideally) above the fuel. The bottom rack on mine is closer to 22", but I think 20" is probably the minimum or, as has been stated, it's more like grilling vs smoking indirect.

Granted, on a UDS you still have the direct radiant heat, but you still have to consider the distance.

On a WSM or ECB, you're obviously closer than that to the fuel but both of these smokers have a water bowl that, even if left dry, diverts the direct heat to the outside of the smoker. The overal temp of the smoker isn't compromised if the lid is left on.

That's the idea behind the heat diffuser.

Back