Ribs and Chicken in the Shady 580

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Just kind of hanging around the house Sun so I decided to cook some ribs (St. Louis) and a few thighs. Ribs were hit with some Texas Best Rib Rub from Heaven Made Products then onto the MAK at 245F. Cooked 4 yardbird thighs with some Its Incredible. Salted the chicken thighs and left them in the fridge for a few hours to tighten the skin. For whatever reason, I'm really starting to favor low salt rubs. Seems I'm loosing my taste for high salt and I like being able to add salt first then the rub. YMMV. When it was time to wrap the ribs I put the thighs on. When the ribs were close to done I moved them to the 2star's warming box and bumped the temp. The chicken skin was OK but not great. Too much time at too low of a temp, I'd say.

For sides I included one of my favorites - cabbage. Quartered it up, added way too much butter, salt & pepper and few bacon bits. I also overcooked some nice garden corn on the cob while I was goofing around with he chicken... lesson learned.

Anyway, in the end this is what we ended up with:

7hvqttwl.jpg

Any tips on how to manage yardbird and real meat simultaneously on 1 cooker would be appreciated.

Thanks for lookin'.

Lookin’ goooood from here. As far as those 2 meats, I’d preheat my oven to 180° and place ribs inside when done AND turn off oven. At that point I’d jack temp on MAK and grill up them thighs. Your ribs will still be nice and hot when the thighs are done 30ish mins later.

Lookin’ goooood from here. As far as those 2 meats, I’d preheat my oven to 180° and place ribs inside when done AND turn off oven. At that point I’d jack temp on MAK and grill up them thighs. Your ribs will still be nice and hot when the thighs are done 30ish mins later.

Makes a lot of sense. For some reason, I just don't think about using the oven. Guess I have a 1 track mind - start outside, finish outside. If I can overcome by bias/weakness/laziness I'll try it. :)

Makes a lot of sense. For some reason, I just don't think about using the oven. Guess I have a 1 track mind - start outside, finish outside. If I can overcome by bias/weakness/laziness I'll try it. :)

Oh man, I use the oven all the time for holding meats. Not sure how I’d get by without it [emoji2371]

Looks tasty, Kevin.

I find I have to flip the chicken much more when I cook on the MAK to get the skin to crisp. Not a lot of reflected heat from the hood on the MAK is my take. Still puts out some good chicken!

Doesn't get any better looking than that! Nice that your garden is doing well too! Great meal Kevin! :grin:

Doesn't get any better looking than that! Nice that your garden is doing well too! Great meal Kevin! :grin:

The garden has done really well this year - hope I didn't jinx anything by saying that. I moved my tomatoes, peppers, green onions and cucumbers to raised bed. Worked out pretty darn good...

Bet you had a bumper crop too!

Back