THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting. The internet is filled with folks saying a roast takes about 40 minutes per LB at 225 and that is what I set my Yoder at. The Yoder drifts from 190 to 260 without me touching it at all. I am in Ca with mild climate tonight in the 50`s with no wind. This 5 lb roast has an IT of 81 2 1/2 hours into the cook so far. I do have a drip pan with some beef broth and red wine beneath......This is beginning to feel like a long brisket cook lol.

Interesting. The internet is filled with folks saying a roast takes about 40 minutes per LB at 225 and that is what I set my Yoder at. The Yoder drifts from 190 to 260 without me touching it at all. I am in Ca with mild climate tonight in the 50`s with no wind. This 5 lb roast has an IT of 81 2 1/2 hours into the cook so far. I do have a drip pan with some beef broth and red wine beneath......This is beginning to feel like a long brisket cook lol.

How long did it end up taking, JW? I've had them finish up a couple hours early or late for reasons beyond my comprehension...

I was planning on about 4 hours @ 250 and this one decided it was done in two hours and 42 minutes. :shock:

TZLwEMf.jpg

EZgMTWe.jpg

How long did it end up taking, JW? I've had them finish up a couple hours early or late for reasons beyond my comprehension...

I was planning on about 4 hours @ 250 and this one decided it was done in two hours and 42 minutes. :shock:

TZLwEMf.jpg

EZgMTWe.jpg

The temp rose quickly the last 25 degrees or so and the cook lasted about 3 1/2 hours. It came out great after all. Nice pics!!!!

prices are insane this year. I held out and Meijer dropped their CAB beef rib roasts down to $8/lbs. 7 lbs will be plenty to feed the family and have a snack the next day.....it didn't matter. we were having prime rib for dinner.

I'm a man of tradition. we do ham on Easter, turkey on Thanksgiving and prime rib on Christmas. no exceptions, it was dads favorite

my dad loved his end slices....I just wish he could have one more....today is his birthday....and we will be having prime rib this Christmas....as always

yEGsedDl.jpeg

5U7B6kZl.jpeg

3ik7Vstl.jpeg

zABWAUil.jpeg

5JPEjGUh.jpg

and that end piece

al4Ewxhl.jpg

I've never understood this. I always cook by the thickness of the roast, about 30-40 minutes per inch. Doesn't really matter if you get a small three bone roast or a huge 7 bone roast. As long as they are the same thickness, they'll finish in the same time.

Let's say you have three roasts all 5" in diameter. a 2 bone that's 4" long, a 3 bone that's 6" long and a 7 bone that's 12" long. The 2 bone will finish quicker, since it's smallest dimension is 4". The 3 bone & 7 bone will both finish at the same time since their smallest dimension is 5".

I've never understood this. I always cook by the thickness of the roast, about 30-40 minutes per inch. Doesn't really matter if you get a small three bone roast or a huge 7 bone roast. As long as they are the same thickness, they'll finish in the same time.

Let's say you have three roasts all 5" in diameter. a 2 bone that's 4" long, a 3 bone that's 6" long and a 7 bone that's 12" long. The 2 bone will finish quicker, since it's smallest dimension is 4". The 3 bone & 7 bone will both finish at the same time since their smallest dimension is 5".

giphy.gif

Great write up and i sure will use it as my guide when i cook my prime rib on christmas day. Thanks bunches!

Never heard of this trick, but love learning new things.

Back