Remote WiFi Therm Help and Thermoworks Signals Story -LONG

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
So after 3 years, my Maverick 733 receiver finally died. Not sure if it was the board or the screen but it’s dead.

So I started looking hard at the Smoke and the Signals. Really like the idea of the 4 probes and the single unit of the Signals. Looked at the new Maverick with 4 probes but that has no WiFi or app. Briefly looked at the Fireboard but decided it was too expensive. I was already choking over the Smoke + Gateway or Signals being at the $200ish mark and the Fireboard 6 probe is even more.

So I pulled the trigger on the Signals which arrived yesterday. Was really excited, unboxed right away and got er fired up, app installed and connected, and lit up a couple probes. Played around with graphs and alarms and naming, which all worked pretty well. Only real complaints was you can’t set a custom notification sound for the alerts.

So I start playing around with the graphing features, exporting graphs and saving them.

And it doesn’t work. Click save, tells you it will save the data and reset the values for all probes for the next graph. But when I go to the section to review my saved graph and export the data from there.....no data. Tried a couple more ways, on WiFi’s on Bluetooth, on my cellular over the phone. No dice.

Open a ticket with Thermoworks and Ben starts exchanging emails. Has me try a few things, uninstall and app, reset a few things. Send him info on the model of phone and the iOS versions. Also try on my iPad, same issue.

So Ben says he will turn it over to the product team and hopefully they can figure it out. So I ask how long that will take and what’s the return process if they can’t fix it.

Ben tells me he doesn’t have any way to estimate time, but I have 30 days to return if I want to wait for them...and....

Make sure to have all the original packing or I won’t get a refund...and ship it at my expense. HUH???

So after a few emails back and forth Ben and I got things straightened out and he sent me a prepaid UPS label.

But I’m kinda sad. I wanted this to be a great product. The unit itself seems solid, but the app is very weak. I debated waiting to see if they could fix it but it made me nervous. I tried on 2 different devices with different OS levels with recent devices and recent OS versions. Clearly not limited to just one scenario.

If Apple updates the iOS will Thermoworks be able to keep up?

So. After all that. 6 probe Fireboard is almost $280 with tax and shipping but looks really solid. Anything I’m missing?

The 6 probe Fireboard from All things bbq is $249 and free shipping. Haven't used one, but I believe, they are top of the line.

Is this a Thermoworks problem or an Apple proprietary problem.

They didn’t say. This was one of the responses I got. Kinda sounds like they struggle with the different hardware and OS versions. However I’m within 2 years of new hardware and OS on both devices.

“If you would like to wait and see if an app update will fix your issue, you are welcome to do so. While we try to make the app as universal as possible, we are always in the process of updating our apps as new updates for phones lead to new issues that can arise.”

I just like to put meat on the smoker and enjoy myself. Graphs, Apps, WiFi, bar codes, magic decoder rings, telepathy, whatever. That's not the essence of BBQ, IMO (no offense). It sounds like more of a headache than a simple enjoyment.

I get that and generally agree. But I’m an IT guy and a tech geek at heart. It’s just another toy to play with. 90 percent of the time I keep a therm on each grate just so I don’t have to walk down the deck stairs to see the temp.

And with a stickburner it would be cool to see the high/low ranges over time. I can bet I only use it occasionally.

But then again. I have 2 grills, 2 smokers, and a blackstone. I’m constantly watching Craigslist and Marketplace for another find.

It’s a sickness I know.

I hope they figure out the software glitch for you because Thermoworks puts out quality stuff. I have only played with the graphs a long time ago but don't really use them.

The 6 probe Fireboard from All things bbq is $249 and free shipping. Haven't used one, but I believe, they are top of the line.

I have the Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition w/6 probes. Its amazing. Not only is it WiFi, but its works with Alexa. I just ask Alexa the temp of the probe i want to monitor and Alexa tells me it. I dont even have to look at a browser or phone.

I saw that feature too. And... Of course I have Alexa and use it to control lights and stuff...more toys.

My Alexa is a complete smart@55. It's almost comical the conversations we have. I wouldn't trust that $#@!& to monitor my cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I recently acquired a FireBoard and replaced my DigiQ with it. I have only done one cook with it on a BGE and it is awesome. It Blutetooths to my phone and to the cloud via WIFI.

Shared a link to the cook with a friend and he and his wife monitored the temps 500 miles away. They were both lauhing at my propensity for such things.

Yes, it is a bit pricey but from my first impression, it is worth it.

Have you looked at the Inkbird units???? I'm seeing some decent reviews and an even more decent price. I have no idea if the features you desire are available.

Thankfully all my ThermoWorks stuff works great, although I don’t know about the graph feature because I have no use for it. My only gripe is the battery life on the Signals.

Great info here. Thanks.
I'm currently working with a ThermoPro TP20 and have been eyeing the Fireboard closely.
The features and flexibility of having 6 probes is very enticing. Price doesnt bother my too much if it works as promised.

I've looked at Gurus,Themoworks,Tappeque etc etc and Fireboard seems to be the nicest IMO.

Back