Red Box Smoker Review

That looks nice. I see the holes in the bottom and out the back at the top. How does the air flow in a cabinet like this?

It has a hollow wall. the smoke travels from the firebox up the hollow wall out of the openings at the top, down over the racks, out thru the bottom holes and the out of the exhaust holes at the top/back of the cooker. They call it a reverse flow because the smoke travels down over the meat instead of up from the bottom.

how do you feel about the cooking capacity? I looked at them in an earlier post but it seems like an 18" WSM has more capacity?
thanks

Sooo .... what do you need this smoker for again? I thought you already have too many the last time we spoke.

Sooo .... what do you need this smoker for again? I thought you already have too many the last time we spoke.

True...but I had to find something for my anniversary gift. That and it was cheap and it looks really nice. The wife was excited that there was something that she could get me that I actually wanted. And thanks again for the short ribs. They were really good!

It has a hollow wall. the smoke travels from the firebox up the hollow wall out of the openings at the top, down over the racks, out thru the bottom holes and the out of the exhaust holes at the top/back of the cooker. They call it a reverse flow because the smoke travels down over the meat instead of up from the bottom.

Hi Paul,

What do you think about the air intake vent ? Is the placement a safety hazard being on the bottom near the firebox/coals ? Also if you wanted to add a guru would you have to drill a hole through the side ?

Hi Paul,

What do you think about the air intake vent ? Is the placement a safety hazard being on the bottom near the firebox/coals ? Also if you wanted to add a guru would you have to drill a hole through the side ?
Intake is odd but ok. No hazard that I noticed with the way the ash pan has a solid bottom so hot coals can't fall out easily. But I guess anytime you have a fire there is some degree of risk. The insulation is a solid sheet so I would think drilling a hole would not be an issue.

Did beef plate ribs but nothing since then on the Red Box. They fit very well and came out really good. Did a cook on the Abe's, the Jimmy, the otg and the Shirley. With the holidays I haven't cooked much and now it's freezing this week. This texas boy can't handle the cold.

I smoked up some Salmon, turned outreally good!

1_zpssneo0fhn.jpg

I smoked up some Salmon, turned outreally good!

1_zpssneo0fhn.jpg

that looks good and i don't even really like fish.:thumb: i see your water pan is empty. i find that it runs better (to me that is hotter) without water. has that been your experience? i will say if the temp goes passed your goal that a cup or 2 of water will bring it down very quickly.

that looks good and i don't even really like fish.:thumb: i see your water pan is empty. i find that it runs better (to me that is hotter) without water. has that been your experience? i will say if the temp goes passed your goal that a cup or 2 of water will bring it down very quickly.

Yes, I smoked some wings on its maiden smoke and the temps stayed pretty low. Had the water pan 3/4 full, big heat sink.

No problem with temps without water. Figured I didn't need any for this smoked fish.

Think I'll do some oysters this weekend, without water.

PJ
Just wondering if you have done anymore cooking on your Red Box?

Ask and you shall receive. Was going to deliver some xmas gifts to my daughter that were too big to fit in her civic. Decided to do a small cook to eat at her apartment with the family. Did SLC ribs, 10 wings, a breast and 6 sausages. Could have fit it all on 2 racks. Started with too much lit, half chimney, had to use water to control the temps. :tsk: guess I'm still learning this cooker. short 3 hour cook and we had to make a stop on the way so not many pics.

20160102_121354.jpg

20160102_124024.jpg

Please quit posting pic's I don't want to make an impulse buy.

What is the highest temp you have cooked on it so far? I'm planning on getting an insulated cabinet in the near future, I would like just a little capacity.

Please quit posting pic's I don't want to make an impulse buy.

What is the highest temp you have cooked on it so far? I'm planning on getting an insulated cabinet in the near future, I would like just a little capacity.

Nobody made you click on the thread. :laugh:
I cooked at 350 today when the water pan was empty and before i realized that I started with too many lit coals.

Back