THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bdsankey

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Brad
I'm looking for recommendations on a pellet cooker. It'll be replacing my 30 masterbuilt and rusted out gasser. I've been looking at the RecTec Bull (RT-700) and Stampede (RT-590) over just about anything due to warranty, construction, and no BS customer service. While I know RecTech is the highest priced, I do think (out of those listed) are really in it for the long haul.

The Bull (RT-700) is really appealing due to size, I like the shortened pellet auger system due to the rear hopper, as well as a 6yr warranty and availability of a cold weather blanket. I refuse to buy a Treager simply because of how outrageous their costs are and that their quality seemed to take a hit the last few years after production changed.

Main items are briskets (packer size), pork butts/whole shoulders, steaks, ribs, burgers, various chicken cuts etc. I use my kettle 2-4 nights a week and my gasser (before it rusted out in the firebox and got turned into a griddle only item) 3-5 nights a week. The wife and I enjoy cooking and would like to eventually move into local competitions/cook-offs as well. I will also be using it to cook for family gatherings, the last 2 Christmas parties for her side of the family I did a full packer brisket and 4 butts each year so the masterbuilts got their workout. I've ran a stick burner and liked it but would much rather have the ability to do a long brisket cook for week day bbq etc without much input other than pellets and electrical.

My family only consist of my wife and myself but we do like to entertain. Budget of ~$1500 or less, Bull is about the top of my price range.

I've had my GMG for 7 yrs. Couple of small issues when new, but CS was fantastic. they also have a thermal cover for cold weather use.

Never used a Rec tec, so can't give any insight on them .

Ditto for GMG. Had mine for several years and have loved it. The new prime models out this year seem like they made some decent improvements, specifically the wheels (an issue w the older ones).

In terms of cost, I was able to get mine w the WiFi for the cost of the non-WiFi as my local dealer sold so many that he sold them for that point.

It does a TON of stuff well. I use it as my cold-smoking station. It makes a great finisher for things like nuts since the low temp is 150. Smoking is good, and, with a high of 500, grilling is alo good.

It has a high clearance which makes it good for non-traditional stuff to fit in pretty well.

What is the grilling surface size on a Daniel Boone? The Stampede (RT-590) is 30x19.75x9 and the Bull (RT-700) is 36x19.75x9.5. It seems like the Stampede is pretty similar to the Prime Daniel Boone. The GMG DB is the other model I was really considering. A major plus to the GMG (in my opinion) is the temperature range. I can cook a brisket and then say put it at ~165f once completed for an hour or two until I get home to rest/slice for dinner.

The nice part about the release of the prime models is thinking about the price drop of the choice models. You can get a Jom Bowie now (larger) for the previous price of a Daniel Boone.

The nice part about the release of the prime models is thinking about the price drop of the choice models. You can get a Jom Bowie now (larger) for the previous price of a Daniel Boone.

The features that the Prime bring to the table over the choice (better stand, front table, dual meat probes, better wheels) make up for the cost delta in my opinion.

The features that the Prime bring to the table over the choice (better stand, front table, dual meat probes, better wheels) make up for the cost delta in my opinion.

That's a fair point. The improved wheels alone are a selling point. Moving my DB around harder than it needs to be.

That's a fair point. The improved wheels alone are a selling point. Moving my DB around harder than it needs to be.

The only thing driving me towards a RecTec Stampede (RT-590) vs a Daniel Boone is the construction being that the entire barrel and cooking chamber are stainless steel. What I don't like about the Stampede are the rear vents (not a problem that can't be solved).

That's fair. One issue that I see fairly often brought up on the GMG FB group is paint blistering and coming off. Happened on mine, which I was to touch up pretty easily.

The shape of the GMG seems odd at first, but its increased vertical size is a plus.

That's fair. One issue that I see fairly often brought up on the GMG FB group is paint blistering and coming off. Happened on mine, which I was to touch up pretty easily.

The shape of the GMG seems odd at first, but its increased vertical size is a plus.

I'm honestly not horribly concerned with the shape or even the asthetics of the product (while it matters, it's not a major deciding factor). The nice thing about the GMG "peaked" design means taller items like chicken/turkey fit extremely well standing up. With just about anything else you have to lay down a turkey (except in a vertical style smoker). What I'm trying to determine is if the build quality/material quality of the RecTec outweigh the cost difference. A RecTec Stampede (RT-590) runs ~$899 and they do not run sales on grills, usually just accessories). The GMG Daniel Boone Prime w/WiFi runs $749 retail but can usually be had lower (local dealer here is ~$649 due to liquidating inventory at the end of the season).

I'm fairly confident that the RecTec's all stainless cooking chamber will hold up longer no doubt, but is it enough to justify a ~$250 cost delta? I also do know that the RecTec products hold temperature incredibly well as well as don't offer a huge fluctuation in temp (which is where I think the Stampede beats the Bull due to rear uniform exhaust venting vs a single side stack) but I could be incredibly wrong.

My RecTec Bull has had zero problems in a year and a half.

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards the bull (RT-700) vs stampede (RT-590) for the main reasons of warranty length (extra 2yrs, 6yrs vs 4yrs), shorter auger system in hopes of feed reliability, and slightly larger. I'm just trying to justify the $200 delta, but my luck I'd buy a Stampede and something would fail at 4yrs 1mo lol.

You could look at Grilla Grills...great product and they are all made with thermal gaps so you likely wouldn't need a blanket to keep the temps solid during the winter.

www.grillagrills.com

Do they offer wifi control? While that isn't a major deal breaker, it would be a nice added feature so I can run a cook while at work so dinner is ready during the week (butts/brisket).

Rec-Tec Bull owner here. No problems. I'm content with it and recommend them to anybody who is the market for a pellet grill. My neighbor owns one now, too.

GMG DB here, only real issue is the peeling paint but we’ve used the SNOT outta this thing!

GMG DB here, only real issue is the peeling paint but we’ve used the SNOT outta this thing!

So while it may seem petty, I really don't want to have to chase paint peeling. That said, I can get over it for a good price hahaha. Thank you for your recommendation!

My Stampede 590 has been nothing short of stellar....the 3 holes in the back for exhaust are actually quite nice...low profile and no giant stack sticking up one side making it a pain in the ass to put the cover on. Worth every penny.

Back