Raleigh, NC Area Brethren & Beyond - Need Advice for Son's 1st B-day

uncblue

Full Fledged Farker
My wife & I are throwing our son a cowboy themed party for his 1st B-day... We've got 26 adults and 13 kids enroute for pony rides, hay rides, and all kinds of other stuff @ a local farm. I just finished marinating 20lbs of leg quarters split into drums and thighs.. Marinade is Azafron with fresh minced garlic, onion, and cilantro. I'll pull it out of that bath and hit it with some Sweet Seduction so the little ones will be happy before glazing with SBR...I know, I know but gotta make the kiddos happy....

I also just rubbed 4 butts with Grey Poupon, BPS Little Louie Garlic Salt & Dizzy Pig Dust..

Party is Sat 10am til 2- I'm thinking of smoking the pork butts Thurs night, pulling off Fri am, then resting in color to pull Fri night... Also considering a hot and fast on the butts on Friday evening then resting overnight and pulling Sat am...

For chicken, I'm thinking of smoking early Sat am. Would really prefer to sleep in some though which would mean doing them Friday night but dont want to deal with rubbery or dry chicken.. Any thoughts on this? 2-3hrs low heat smoke followed by Sat am finish in the oven or gasser?

Need help on the following:
1) Any one in the area have a Cambro and Chafing dishes that we could borrow til Sat afternoon or Sun am - Willing to put down whatever deposit you might need

2) What is your favorite non-mayo based coleslaw that you think would go well with the butts above..Supposed to be in the 80's on Sat.

3) Since I'm pullling the BBQ Fri night, what is best way to keep it moist? Was thinking of making a light vinegar based Carolina style sauce to keep it nice and moist.. If you agree, do you have a favorite recipe?

4) Since the chicken will have 2-3 hrs from time on the grill, should I remove the skin after smoking before setting the sauce?

5) Last but not least, since I'm saving the wife $ on catering, I've told her I want a new Thermapen. Which color is the fastest?:decision:

Thanks brethren...Not that he'll remember it or that he has that many teeth but we want his party to be up to his momma's standards :cool:

Last edited:
Hey uncblue! Great name!
I wish that I could help, but I use coolers instead of Cambro, and I don't use chafing dishes to cater (or I get the disposable aluminum pan stands when needed).

Good luck! Everything will turn out right I'm sure.

We Tarheels gotta stick together. I made this slaw this weekend, and thought it turned out great, with a couple of changes. I did not add carrot, and finely chopped the cabbage in a food processor, for a more eastern NC style. My daughter does not like anything with mayonnaise, and she ate this. Credit to about.com/southernfood.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, grated
Dressing:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
Preparation:

Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; pour over vegetables and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Enough slaw for 8 to 10 servings. Delicious with pulled pork!

Thanks guys... we may just make do with coolers to keep stuff warm... I appreciate the coleslaw recipe...

My biggest concern is keeping the bbq moist and the chicken in great shape; Looking fwd to hearing some secrets of the brethren that cater and/or have done delayed cooks like this

B

1) Any one in the area have a Cambro and Chafing dishes that we could borrow til Sat afternoon or Sun am - Willing to put down whatever deposit you might need

Sorry, can't help with that. I just scored a couple on CL and used them for the first time last weekend. They would be perfect for your situation if someone were to loan you one. Maybe check CL in your area.

I'd probably just put the chicken in foil or covered foil pans wrapped in a towel in a cooler.

2) What is your favorite non-mayo based coleslaw that you think would go well with the butts above..Supposed to be in the 80's on Sat.

We love Deguerre's slaw. My wife hates mayo so it's our go to. I put carrots in mine. Don't tell him please, I'm afraid he'll take back the recipe. :razz: If you chop your own cabbage make sure it's pretty thin and it's definitely better made 12 hrs ahead.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2216698&postcount=2

3) Since I'm pullling the BBQ Fri night, what is best way to keep it moist? Was thinking of making a light vinegar based Carolina style sauce to keep it nice and moist.. If you agree, do you have a favorite recipe?

If you are planning on taking it off the smoker Friday morning are you going to leave in a cooler to rest until Friday night? or put it in the fridge till Friday night? I wouldn't leave it in the cooler more than 5 or 6 hrs. You don't want the temp below (140* I believe) while in the cooler. You may know that already. So if you can't get home from work in that time then get it cooled down a little and into the fridge until Friday night.

At that point if you have a vac sealer pull it in large chunks and seal it up. Then boil the bags in water the day of the party and pull it the rest of the way then if possible. If you won't have time to pull it that day then just pull it completely Friday night.

I like to cook my butts in a pan, at least for the second half of the cook so I can reserve the juice. Then separate out the fat and mix it 50/50 with your favorite bbq sauce, mix it into the pork after you've boiled the bags.

The pork will be plenty moist then and I always have a squeeze bottle of Boshizzle's Shack Attack when I serve PP.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2097242&postcount=1

4) Since the chicken will have 2-3 hrs from time on the grill, should I remove the skin after smoking before setting the sauce?

I wouldn't bother removing it. Most likely it will be a little rubbery but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. If people don't like skin they'll pull it off either way.

5) Last but not least, since I'm saving the wife $ on catering, I've told her I want a new Thermapen. Which color is the fastest?:decision:

This ones easy, without a doubt it's Orange.

Disclaimer, I'm not a caterer but I do do the occasional party. Matter of fact I did exactly what you are doing last weekend, PP and chicken with the methods I gave above. It worked out perfectly.

Happy birthday to your son, and have fun!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Special shout out to fingerlickin for the links. Degeure's slaw recipe was one that I saw & will have to make for this occasion.

Just got all 4 butts going over Wicked Good lump with some cherry chips & a chunk of Peach. Tossed in a few onion scraps for chits & giggles. Butts straight from the fridge & sitting @ 41 when 1st inserted the Mav probes

Definitely feeling the pressure to put out some great que for the family & friends @ the party

Thanks everyone for the advice. Special shout out to fingerlickin for the links. Degeure's slaw recipe was one that I saw & will have to make for this occasion.

Just got all 4 butts going over Wicked Good lump with some cherry chips & a chunk of Peach. Tossed in a few onion scraps for chits & giggles. Butts straight from the fridge & sitting @ 41 when 1st inserted the Mav probes

Definitely feeling the pressure to put out some great que for the family & friends @ the party

Relax and don't overthink it. I'm sure it will be fine. Hard to fark up a butt.

Good luck with it and happy birthday to the kiddo.

By the way, we all know red is the fastest thermapen!

Go PACK! :p

Good luck with it and happy birthday to the kiddo.

By the way, we all know red is the fastest thermapen!

Go PACK! :p

No no, it's the Packer green. I have the green and the backlit red one, and the green one is MUCH faster!!!

Haha. No red allowed in this house even though the wife is a pack grad.

Not so worried about the butt as I am about the chicken. I think I can keep it moist but the skin is gonna be like rubber

Thought I'd Follow up for all the brethren that
Gave advise. Food turned out amazing. I was most worried about the chicken but people raved about it. I ended up removing skin after
Smoking it, then reheated next am in half pan in oven with sauce.

Here's a pic of the butts

SMH. Only website that I have problems posting pics on. It seems I get to work once then next time I do exact same thin & it doesn't work. Hmmm

Back