THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
It has been raining here for the past 5 days. Since I couldn’t cook outside, I decided to make seafood gumbo yesterday. In Louisiana people say that there are as many recipes for gumbo as there are cooks that make it. Like everyone else, I am highly opinionated on this subject.

For me, gumbo must have two thickening agents; Roux (flour browned in fat) and either okra or file’ (ground sassafras leaves). You see lots of recipes for “Shrimp and Andouille” or “Chicken and Shrimp” gumbos. I never put meat in a seafood gumbo because I think that meat overpowers the delicate flavors of the seafood. I only use okra with seafood and file’ with meats.
So here is yesterday’s cook:

I started by peeling 2 lbs of 16/20 count shrimp; reserving the shells for my stock.
picture.php

picture.php

I put the shrimp back in the fridge and put the shells in a pot with:
· 1 ½ Quarts of cold water
· ½ Lemon (squeezed)
· 6 Whole Allspice
· 6 Whole Cloves
· ½ Tsp Whole Coriander
· 2 Bay Leaves

picture.php

I brought the pot to a simmer for 30 minutes and then I strained the stock and set it aside to cool.

Next, I got out my okra.

picture.php

I like to fry my okra in a little oil to get rid of the sliminess.

picture.php

I cut my veggies to make the “Holy Trinity” (Onions, Celery, and Bell Pepper). People use varying proportions. I find that I prefer a ratio of 3:2:1.

picture.php

Now I had my “Mise en Place” and am ready to make the gumbo. As we say in Louisiana, “First you make a roux…” I mixed 2/3 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of oil (coconut) in my cast iron pot.

picture.php

Stir, stir, stir… Until I have a medium brown roux:

picture.php

Next I added the Trinity to arrest the cooking of the roux and sweat the veggies.

picture.php

Once the veggies are soft, I add ½ Quart of cold water and the okra. I stirred until the water and roux are well blended. Then I added 3 cut up crabs, 2 bay leaves, and the shrimp stock and let it simmer for 3 hours. At the end of three hours, the gumbo had thickened nicely and the okra was obliterated.

picture.php

picture.php

I seasoned the gumbo to taste with:
· Salt
· Black Pepper
· Chili Pepper
· Garlic Powder
· Thyme
30 minutes before I was ready to serve, I added the remaining seafood:
· 1 LB Peeled Shrimp
· 1 LB Crab Meat (I prefer claw meat)
· 1 LB Crawfish Tails with Fat

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

While that simmered, I steamed some jasmine rice to serve with it.

picture.php

...and here is last night's dinner:

picture.php

Thanks for looking.
David

Last edited:
Back