THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I bought a 22 inch WSM and ThermoWorks Signals & Billows combo earlier this year. First cook was pretty underwhelming and the second wasn’t much better. The Signal was constantly locking up and resetting and as a result, the Billows was all over the place. I began to wonder if I’d made an expensive mistake.

Two firmware updates later, I started using the Signals on simpler/shorter cooks. Baked potato on the grill or meatloaf in the oven etc. It seemed to work pretty darn well.

I then moved on to ribs this past weekend. I have to say, I’m really relieved. Despite a bit of user error early on, it worked like a champ. LOCKED in at 230 for six hours. Zero issues with connectivity.

The app is still a bit wonky. Setting temps, it works fine. But the graphing is a hot mess (no pun intended). I can be a bit of a spreadsheet nerd and there’s not much rhyme or reason as to how it saves them.

All in all, I’m relieved that it’s now working as expected. Hopefully, they will continue to improve the app.

I had the opposite experience. I got it for Christmas and it worked fine. Always locked in and never had problems using the app to check in on things if I was away. Used it for the first time in a while and had to download the update. Connection on the app was mostly off so I would have to go do manual adjustments.

Don't know if I was supposed to download a new version of the app, I just did the firmware update. Could be operator error on my part, but I haven't looked into it really. Nice product though.

It would be nice if they included release notes on the firmware update. That way if functionality is being added/enhanced, it’s up front and you don’t have to hunt for it. I’ve found the firmware updates to be a little tedious. Don’t think I ever got both to run successfully on the first try, but they did eventually take. Not sure when the last time was the app (for iOS) was updated.

They actually have a new version of the app out now. They updated it to have much better graphing capabilities as well as better cloud access. I would check for the udpate.

Don't have those products but Thermoworks customer service is excellent have you tried calling? They've helped me troubleshoot a few minor issues here and there I have a LOT of their products and always recommend them.

They actually have a new version of the app out now. They updated it to have much better graphing capabilities as well as better cloud access. I would check for the udpate.

Yep. Downloaded it last night. Played around with it this morning (without a smoker) and it looks to be a pretty big improvement over the previous version!

Back