THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Hi All - looking for quick and easy supper suggestions (maybe needs to be moved to different topic). With two little dudes (4 & 8 years old) at home its a struggle finding something to make before the "I'm hungrys" start flowing out of the mouths.

Curious to what some of your go to recipes are? BBQ influenced and not

Chicken and burger We like to plan ahead and will make things on weekends so we just have to reheat Helps if you know what those little mouths like

If you want BBQ related, you could always cook more up front, then portion, seal, and freeze. Small packages are quicker to thaw and cook, and you have the main protein ready to rock. Then it can easily go into a quesadilla, on a baked potato, on a bun, in a wrap, paired with a soup, on a salad, etc. Sides can be quick and easy, steam veggie bags, boxed mixes, etc.

I'd advocate meal prep, but that's a double edged sword-it's great for the days you heat and eat, but it's time consuming on the day that you make it all.

I generally try to do extra each time, to make the next round faster. Last weekend I needed enchilada sauce, so I made a large batch, and froze smaller portions. Next time it's called for, I won't have to make the sauce.

Largely depends on what they will eat.
Quick and easy: my wife calls it Hungarian comfort food (being that I'm Hungarian and it's my recipe).
Fry up some bacon and chop it. Boil some egg noodles. Plop a generous protion cottage cheese (I prefer small curd) on each plate of noodles and top with the crumbled bacon. Let them mix it up as they will and eat.
It's actually quite tasty. Might drizzle some of that bacon rendering on the noodles before serving. Makes them slide down better.:tongue:
P.S. The wife likes to sautee some cut up scalinos (in the bacon grease of course) to add to her plate.

Last edited:
Growing up spaghetti was always on the menu. Pasta is quick and easy and still inexpensive. Sauce is inexpensive. You can still feed a family for under $10. Possibly a little more if you add a pound of ground beef, garlic bread, and parmesan but still a bargain. I have two teenagers so spaghetti is on the menu often.

When my kids were little they wanted to live on Mac n Cheese or Cereal. So we put canned Chicken or Tuna in Mac n Cheese........ we tried diced broccoli but they wouldn't eat it, tried ground beef but No.........

Skettie-no meat.That is what my Grandson always wanted.Boil noodles,10 minutes,heat jar sauce in the microwave,done.He liked cheeseburgerHamburger Helper too,but NO MEAT in spkettie! They are a blast when they are young.Unfortunately,they grow up.

A skillet of fried potatoes, onions and sliced smoked sausage. It takes about 20 minutes though.

Breakfast for dinner! Pancakes, French toast, or bacon and a fried egg on an English muffin. Quick, easy and delicious any time of the day!

Hamburger Helper type meals, Zatarain's mixes, pasta w/ or /w/o meat sauce, chili mac, chili mixes from Williams, Wick Fowler, or Carroll Shelby. Chili on tamales w/cheese or cheese dip. Fried O'brien potatoes with extra onions and some meat. Tuna w/scrambled eggs sandwiches on toast.

There are tons of quick meals available on Google. Some are skillet and some are casseroles. Country fried cubed steaks w/mashed taters and gravy. Some frozen green peas in butter sauce. Not the nasty stuff outa the can!!

Burgers, burger steaks, fried bologna sandwiches, fried ham slices, loaded baked potatoes ala microwave. The list is endless. When I feel good enough to cook these are the things I exist on.

There's also the cook once a week and reheat versions that include soups, stews and more casseroles.

Another one I forgot. Tuna salad on bread/toast or saltines. Made with Dukes and Wickles relish of course.:biggrin1:

Another edit. Steaks on the gasser and baked taters or corn on the cob in the microwave.

Last edited:
Back