THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill
So, I tried something new today. I removed the water pan from my WSM (never used it for water anyway, just a defuser) and used it like a UDS. I smoked a pork shoulder at 300, giving the ol' hot and fast method a try. The time was cut way down but a hard crust built up on the bottom. I lightly rubbed the bottom so some sugar might have caramelized, but I'm not sure. Is this unusual? Do I need to wrap earlier or use a pan which would defeat the purpose? Any insight wouold be greatly appreciated.

I waited for the bark to set before wrapping, which was around 170 today. The flavor was good but the bottom had to be thrown away.

However long your cook took I would flip it the next time at the half way point or guesstimate the half way point. I never wrapped when I had my UDS because I liked the crust mixed in with the pork. I did spritz often though to keep the crust somewhat moist. Good luck.

I've cooked a lot of butts (for a backyard guy, anyway). I've never done one naked on the grate the whole way- (I may have to give that a go one time). About 160*, I pan it, foil the top until it's tender/done. Prior to the wrap, the bottom might get a bit "done" - but I cook fat down so it's almost a sacrificial layer anyway.

I've cooked a lot of butts (for a backyard guy, anyway). I've never done one naked on the grate the whole way- (I may have to give that a go one time). About 160*, I pan it, foil the top until it's tender/done. Prior to the wrap, the bottom might get a bit "done" - but I cook fat down so it's almost a sacrificial layer anyway.
On a drum it's good to keep the fat side down. Just a little extra protection from the direct heat coming straight up. I think it renders much better that way too.

Are you sure that the cooker was actually running at 300? I haven't used a WSM so I am not familiar with the distance between the grate and the fire. I have never had that issue on my Hunsaker at that temp. I've also wrapped way later in the process as well.

I haven’t run the WSM. But on my Hunsaker, I run fat side down on a mat at 225-275 ( depending on my mood) Any rub with sugar will caramelize pretty quickly at any temp over 275. I make it a point to keep the temp to sugar ratio below 250 to stop the caramelization process depending on time. 300 degrees for a pork butt with a sugar rub is pretty hot in my opinion.

Thinking about the cook after reading of your comments I've decided: I may have trimmed too much fat cap off the bottom and I will likely not rub the bottom next time. The distance from grate to fire was less than two feet, so who knows. I use a GURU with the probe at grate level, so I'm pretty sure that the temp stayed close to 300, but maybe I should tone that down a little.

All in all, it was a fun experiment. There's always a learning curve, but that's half the fun. Thanks for the feedback.

Back