Question - Best Charcoal for Long Smokes

mikejh74

Found some matches.
As I am in the process of wrapping up my boston butt smoke for Easter, I ran into some issues along the way. My full ring of charcoal was depleted on my WSM at around 6 hours, my charcoal was close to be depleted and my pit temp was around 194F before I had to relight another round of chimney. I am currently using Kingsford (just the normal stuff)....is there anything better out there besides Kingsford during the overnight smokes?

I use the kingsford professional and never had a issue. Went 26 hours in my uds at around 240-250.

Last edited:
It is really dependent upon the smoker and environmental conditions combined. On a cold and/or windy day, you will burn more fuel than on a still warm day.

I use Kingsford for grilling because it is so cheap, but for smoking I will use Stubbs briquettes or large lump charcoal. But unless you can really control the airflow on your WSM I am not sure if these would help in any manner.

I have a Humphrey's Smoker, completely different from your WSM, but when I first used it with Kingsford I could just barely reach 245° and a full load (15 lb) would burn for 6 to 7 hours. Then I started using lump charcoal, easier to reach higher temperatures, and on 8 pounds of lump I easily get a 12 to 14+ hour burn time with more than enough coals to add more if needed.

Again, it's not just the brand of charcoal, but many other factors.

I settled on Stubbs as it left a smaller amount of ash compared to Kingsford and Royal. So far it's been steady for long cooks. I did brisket, chicken and ribs for a comp last October on one full ring lasting over 12 hours. Like everything it's trial and error, preference, price etc.

I always use lump charcoal with the minion method. I have a can (tall VanCamps pork and beans) placed in the center of the basket. I pour a little lump around the can, then I put my wood and cover with lump until full. I light 8 pieces of stubbs and place in the can, then I remove the can. Then I assemble the smoker and bring it up to temp. I can run a very long time depending on how cold it is...... maybe 18hrs at 250 - 275 with pizza pan instead of the water pan (no water).

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I definitely agree that charcoal is not the only factor. I had actually put a gasket around the door along with the top and bottom to provide a better seal. I have been using the smoker for about 12 years now and have seen changes around the weather. There was torrential downpour but the temp outside was around 65 - 70 deg.

I will definitely give stubbs a try ... now I just need to find it.

If your sticking with briquets? Stubbs all the way!

But find out for yourself, do burn tests and taste tests! If I try to sneak a bag of blue in the crowd here knows it in the first couple of bites...

My Dad always said it's the section between the rod handle and boat seat that count.

If it was any other smoker beside the WSM I would not be replying. Unless it was raining hammerhandles and picthforks or the wind was screaming, the smoker (my 18.5" WSM) will hold a 245*F temp at top grill level for 16 hours or more.

I would ask the following questions:
1. What size WSM? Answer: Does not matter.
2. How do you start your coal? Are you using the Minion Method?
3. Are you starting with a Full ring of coal?
4. Do you always leave the top vent open 100%?
5. Do you leave the top on on other than removing it not more than once every 2 hours?

If you answered No to any of these questions, you too can achieve WSM FOO.

Good Luck Weedhopper! :thumb: :becky:

Fired up my 22" WSM with 10 lbs/1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue, got 6 hrs of cook at time with temps 250-275..Had lava rocks in the water pan. Use the minion method, hot coals in the center. Should I be getting longer getting longer burn times?

Dan

Last edited:
Yeah, I would think you have other issues to look at besides your fuel if you are only getting 6 hours off a full basket of charcoal. I had my 22.5 run for around 24 hours on a full basket before. Even in bad weather, I can't see that dropping to a quarter.

Did it actually need more fuel, or did it ash over and just need a couple of love taps to the legs to knock the ash off?

I built a fire basket for mine (see link in my signature). I would fill it to the top with charcoal and use the flame thrower to light 6 - 8 coals on either the middle (unassisted) or the vent side (when using the Pitmaster IQ 120). It would slowly burn through the rest of the coals as needed. I also had the gaskets and the SS door, so my WSM was very well sealed.

Fired up my 22" WSM with 10 lbs/1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue, got 6 hrs of cook at time with temps 250-275..Had lava rocks in the water pan. Use the minion method, hot coals in the center. Should I be longer getting longer burn times?

Dan
Would never use KBB. So can't say for sure. That sounds awfully short.

"There was torrential downpour but the temp outside was around 65 - 70 deg. "

Well there you have it....The WSM is a non insulated smoker and I would say the Torrential Downpour Sapped all the energy from the smoker and those KBB coals!

That doesnt match my experience at all. Ive used a full large bag of Kingsford in my 22 WSM and had temps above 250 for 12 hours plus, even right out of the box before it gunked up and sealed itself. For shorter cooks a half a bag will easily go 6-7 hours.

Back