purchasing a porch trailer...advice?

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Hello!
I'm posting here as i know a lot of you have experience with trailers. Anyway, I am planning my purchase for a porch trailer to use for comps and some vending/catering. I know what I need for my HD so that is not what this is about... I am looking mostly at 20' or so with a 6' or 8' porch. The porch will probably hold a Shirley RF 65" or some stickburner of similar size. I do not want to go too big. I do not plan on traveling far with it and would like to stick with my F150 for most trips.

I am looking at a number of different manufacturers now as I am just getting started. There are so many options listed. I know i need to go extended interior height as i am a tallish dude. Not sure how wide. Etc...

What are your essentials?

I don't know much about axles, V-nose vs. flat, plumbing, electrical upgrades. Heard horror stories about leaks, poor workmanship, blown tires, etc.

I'm open to any advice you may have or "wish i would've known this" type tid-bits. I will probably end up getting a basic package and installing a bunch of stuff with friends/family unless I can get a good deal.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

We've been looking, too. Prepare for sticker shock, depending on what you want :-D

The one that you looked at in the General For Sale forum is a nice trailer at a good price.

I've talked to Scott Smith at Southern Q, Millenium Trailers, Southern Dimensions, ATC and Intech. All build quality trailers, but Intech is the cream of the crop, but their prices reflect that. I was looking at a 28' trailer with an 8' porch, 8' kitchen, 8' bedroom and a full bath and prices ranged from $28K to $50K!

We've been looking, too. Prepare for sticker shock, depending on what you want :-D

The one that you looked at in the General For Sale forum is a nice trailer at a good price.

I've talked to Scott Smith at Southern Q, Millenium Trailers, Southern Dimensions, ATC and Intech. All build quality trailers, but Intech is the cream of the crop, but their prices reflect that. I was looking at a 28' trailer with an 8' porch, 8' kitchen, 8' bedroom and a full bath and prices ranged from $28K to $50K!

Whoa! yea that is out of my price range, but I am sure that would be an awesome trailer. Southern Q has a good reputation from what i have seen so far. Same with Complete Trailers in CO from what i have read. I will probably have to go used, or pretty bare bones and add on over time to start.

I will check out those other manufacturers you mentioned. I have not checked all those out. thank you!

Whoa! yea that is out of my price range, but I am sure that would be an awesome trailer. Southern Q has a good reputation from what i have seen so far. Same with Complete Trailers in CO from what i have read. I will probably have to go used, or pretty bare bones and add on over time to start.

I will check out those other manufacturers you mentioned. I have not checked all those out. thank you!

Complete trailers is who I talked to for InTech based on a recommendation from another competition team.

The guy from Southern Dimensions was very helpful, but suddenly stopped responding to e-mails, so I don't know what happened there.

The guy from Millenium (Joshua Fountain) has been great to work with, and Scott is great to work with.

Hello!
I'm posting here as i know a lot of you have experience with trailers. Anyway, I am planning my purchase for a porch trailer to use for comps and some vending/catering. I know what I need for my HD so that is not what this is about... I am looking mostly at 20' or so with a 6' or 8' porch. The porch will probably hold a Shirley RF 65" or some stickburner of similar size. I do not want to go too big. I do not plan on traveling far with it and would like to stick with my F150 for most trips.

I am looking at a number of different manufacturers now as I am just getting started. There are so many options listed. I know i need to go extended interior height as i am a tallish dude. Not sure how wide. Etc...

I don't know much about axles, V-nose vs. flat, plumbing, electrical upgrades. Heard horror stories about leaks, poor workmanship, blown tires, etc.

I'm open to any advice you may have or "wish i would've known this" type tid-bits. I will probably end up getting a basic package and installing a bunch of stuff with friends/family unless I can get a good deal.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

You're going to want an 8 foot porch at a minimum. A Ford F150 is rated at around 10,000 pounds maximum, 10,000 pounds on an F 150 is going to be a lot. I would try to stay in the 6000 pound range.

Get heavier axles and bigger tires than you think you need. The biggest mistake people make on trailers of this type is under sizing wheels and axles.

V noses have more tongue weight than flat noses so consider that in your in your build estimate.

As far as manufacturers go there are two groups, the cargo trailer people in Georgia, and the RV people in Indiana. All of them use the same axles air-conditioners and major components. The Indiana manufacturers such as ATC and custom concessions are going to be finished a little better but you're gonna pay a considerable amount more.

I have a 26 foot V nose trailer with a 10 foot porch made by Freedom in Georgia. For the price of the same trailer from a manufacturer in Indiana I could've bought three of the freedom trailers. In my opinion it all comes down to usage. If you're going to use the trailer every single weekend weekend and week out spend the extra money and get a more robust build.

The biggest lesson I learned from ordering my trailer was to provide the dealer with complete and I mean complete specifications and drawings as to what I wanted. I also made it very very clear that if the trailer was not to my spec when I went to pick it up but I would be leaving without it.

Only suggestion i would have from what you have said, is don't go too small. 20' is not very much room at all. Especially if you are also going to use it for vending. The extra 5-10 feet won't cost that much more and you will never regret having more room. Just my 2cents.

You're going to want an 8 foot porch at a minimum. A Ford F150 is rated at around 10,000 pounds maximum, 10,000 pounds on an F 150 is going to be a lot. I would try to stay in the 6000 pound range.

Get heavier axles and bigger tires than you think you need. The biggest mistake people make on trailers of this type is under sizing wheels and axles.

V noses have more tongue weight than flat noses so consider that in your in your build estimate.

As far as manufacturers go there are two groups, the cargo trailer people in Georgia, and the RV people in Indiana. All of them use the same axles air-conditioners and major components. The Indiana manufacturers such as ATC and custom concessions are going to be finished a little better but you're gonna pay a considerable amount more.

I have a 26 foot V nose trailer with a 10 foot porch made by Freedom in Georgia. For the price of the same trailer from a manufacturer in Indiana I could've bought three of the freedom trailers. In my opinion it all comes down to usage. If you're going to use the trailer every single weekend weekend and week out spend the extra money and get a more robust build.

The biggest lesson I learned from ordering my trailer was to provide the dealer with complete and I mean complete specifications and drawings as to what I wanted. I also made it very very clear that if the trailer was not to my spec when I went to pick it up but I would be leaving without it.

Awesome advice. Thank you! Initial weight calculations had me under 7000 with the ones I've looked at so far. Well most. I am in Indiana. I've heard they are more pricy up here.

Only suggestion i would have from what you have said, is don't go too small. 20' is not very much room at all. Especially if you are also going to use it for vending. The extra 5-10 feet won't cost that much more and you will never regret having more room. Just my 2cents.

I was kind of thinking that too. I need to balance wanting to stay compact with the reality of needing room. Thanks! Really appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

I can email you my suggestions this weekend. Basically do your research, read the blogs and list all your wants and needs. Most of the trailers are built fairly quickly and will have some issues unless you get a top of the line one. Be aware that all the dealers do is handle the paperwork and transfer the trailer to you. When I was pricing out mine there was an $8k swing in price.

Hello!

Thanks in advance!
Chris

I bought a trailer last year in Georgia. I had mine built to pass food code in Arkansas, but my ultimate use was for BBQ comps. I spent a ton of money getting it up to food code and that actually made it less useful for comps. Most states seem to require the 3 compartment sink with had wash sink. I got this as a no brainer because I needed it to pass code but none of my BBQ trays, utensils, pans, etc are easy to wash in these super small sink bays. I didn't think to ask if they had different sizes available on the 3 compartment sinks, but come to find out they do. I would suggest spending whatever extra to get sink compartments that are plenty big to use for cleaning up your BBQ gear.

We have a Continental Cargo 8.5x20. 6 ft porch. I bought it used. Pulled w a f350 diesel.

-8 ft porch minimum
-make sure it has an extended tongue. Whoever ordered mine did not and the weight distribution bars would get into the v nose of the trailer before I had the tongue extended.
-screwless exterior and optional thicker alum panels. Less wavy/look better
-7 ft interior height
-where are you going to put the generator?
-rv style doors
-make sure the vending window has screens
-where do you want the porch door to be? Make sure it does not intefere w smoker layout.
-1 piece roof
-make sure you are positive about HD regs. For example my local health dept requires a grey water tank that is 1.5x the sum of the fresh water tank and water heater. A tank of that size will need reconfigured crossmembers underneath. Luckily I had room in the v nose to meet code.
-rubber coin floor
-don't skimp on electrical outlets
-welded on tabs for stabilizer jacks
-make sure the manufacturer knows how heavy your pit is. Mine was completely uncontrollable over 55 mph when I picked it up with the double stumps clone on the porch. Back when I had a f150 fyi.

Initial weight calculations had me under 7000 with the ones I've looked at so far.
Empty or combat loaded?

Most states seem to require the 3 compartment sink with had wash sink. I got this as a no brainer because I needed it to pass code but none of my BBQ trays, utensils, pans, etc are easy to wash in these super small sink bays. I didn't think to ask if they had different sizes available on the 3 compartment sinks, but come to find out they do. I would suggest spending whatever extra to get sink compartments that are plenty big to use for cleaning up your BBQ gear.
+1 - Don't get a 3 bay bar sink

We have a Continental Cargo 8.5x20. 6 ft porch. I bought it used. Pulled w a f350 diesel.

-8 ft porch minimum
-make sure it has an extended tongue. Whoever ordered mine did not and the weight distribution bars would get into the v nose of the trailer before I had the tongue extended.
-screwless exterior and optional thicker alum panels. Less wavy/look better
-7 ft interior height
+'s and minuses to screwless. + easier to wrap and looks better. - adhesive can fail and it's a real pain when it does.
-where are you going to put the generator?
-rv style doors
-make sure the vending window has screens
-where do you want the porch door to be? Make sure it does not intefere w smoker layout.
Consider a sliding door for the porch door. It's on my list for the next one.
-1 piece roof
Yes yes yes yes yes!
-make sure you are positive about HD regs. For example my local health dept requires a grey water tank that is 1.5x the sum of the fresh water tank and water heater. A tank of that size will need reconfigured crossmembers underneath. Luckily I had room in the v nose to meet code.
-rubber coin floor
-don't skimp on electrical outlets
Yep and make sure you know where you want them - don't forget exterior ones
-welded on tabs for stabilizer jacks
-make sure the manufacturer knows how heavy your pit is. Mine was completely uncontrollable over 55 mph when I picked it up with the double stumps clone on the porch. Back when I had a f150 fyi.

Exterior shore power connector (vs attached shore cable)
Consider having it wired for 3 20 amp circuits (A/C & Heat, Hot water and low draw outlets, lights and high draw appliances. ) vs a 30 or 50amp box. This way you can spread your load out at events that don't offer RV connections.

so any v-nose vs. flat front opinions? I've read some older threads on here. supposedly someone did some research and the mpg difference is really non-existent or minimal?

also, anyone have experience with southern dimensions group? Ron mentioned them above. they have been quick to respond to most of my questions. They are seemingly significantly cheaper than most others which makes me pause; however, I've reached out to a few people on facebook who have their trailers and have received positive feedback so far.

so any v-nose vs. flat front opinions? I've Read some older threads on here. supposedly someone did some research and the mpg difference is really non-existent or minimal?

also, anyone have experience with southern dimensions group? Ron mentioned them above. they have been quick to respond to most of my questions. They are seemingly significantly cheaper than most others which makes me pause; however, I've reached out to a few people on facebook who have their trailers and have received positive feedback so far.
V nose = more tongue weight
flat front = less storage, shorter
the other thing to remember with V noses is that the V is not included in the overall box dimensions so for example my 26 foot trailer with a V nose and a short tongue is 31 feet long.

Southern dimension has quality along the lines of Freedom. I know people with Southern dimension trailers that are very happy and I know people that have had significant issues.

We picked up our porch trailer from Southern Dimension Group in GA 3 weeks ago. Trailered it back to VA in a tropical storm from GA to NC. Passed the leak test for sure. 8' porch 12'box plus V-nose. AC, trailers jacks, 50amp service, LED lights, window for vending (maybe one day), 14' awning. SDG are good people to deal with. Competed out of it twice so far.

Back