Pulled Pork Box

SURVIVORQ

Found some matches.
I am still fairly new to competition and would like a little advice on how to build a pork box if all you are going to used is pulled and some chunks. I am not very good a getting the money muscle yet so I don't see me doing slices. One of the comments from a judge was it was "messy" and I thought it looked pretty good so I am at a loss. Any photos or tips would be much appreciated!!

Best advice I can give you is to take a picture of your boxes before you turn in and review them after a few days. It always looks worse than you thought it was on saturday.

Second would be to look at pictures on bbq critic. Focus on the really good boxes and think through why they look good compared to yours

Good luck out there

Best advice I can give you is to take a picture of your boxes before you turn in and review them after a few days. It always looks worse than you thought it was on saturday.

Second would be to look at pictures on bbq critic. Focus on the really good boxes and think through why they look good compared to yours

Good luck out there

Great advice here^^^. There is a page on Facebook that is called bbq turn in boxes that is pretty good as well.

I am still fairly new to competition and would like a little advice on how to build a pork box if all you are going to used is pulled and some chunks. I am not very good a getting the money muscle yet so I don't see me doing slices. One of the comments from a judge was it was "messy" and I thought it looked pretty good so I am at a loss. Any photos or tips would be much appreciated!!

I know the rules say the judges are only to judge what's in the box blah blah blah but the reality is if you don't have slices in your box the likelihood that your pork score will be anywhere near the top of the score sheet is nil. you might want to work on nailing tenderness on your money muscle(along with everything else) before doing a comp. Might I suggest a class?

Here are a couple of mine. Just remember that appearance is the lowest weighted score. I turned in a terrible looking box of brisket once, but apparently nailed the taste and tenderness and came in first.

Attachments

• 20150503_125130.jpg
    20150503_125130.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 20150322_132825.jpg
    20150322_132825.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 251
Below is a box posted by Bigmista in 2010. You could easily replace the chunk in the middle with a pile of pulled pork

SDC10708.jpg

I've gotten calls with just pulled in the box. Usually need a good mix of meat with some bark for color. Kinda between shredded and chunks. I played with slices last year, but if they werent perfect just went with the pulled. This year ive been all in with pulled slices and chunks, appearance had been good.

20150912_130022.jpg

This was my last attempt at a pork box at my last comp. It was first time I was able to get slices so that's all I put in. Thanks everyone for sharing your advice and pics it is much appreciated!! :grin:

The keys to any good looking box are:
1. Symmetry. Are the pieces laid in the box with the spaces between them even.
2. Color. Are the pieces uniform in color?
3. Sauce. Is the sauce applied evenly? Not gloppy, no big spices distracting the eye.
4. Balance. Side to side, top to bottom. Don't put a giant pile of pulled that dwarfs your slices.
5.Knife work. Are your slices exactly the same width, top to bottom. No ragged edges.
6. Only put your best stuff in the box.

Your parsley is overflowing the box and makes it look haphazard and distracting. You want the judges focusing on your meat, not thinking about how floofy your parsley looks.

Back