THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ColdFyre

Knows what a fatty is.
When you probe, where and what direction do you probe in?

For me, I tend to go with the grain in the thick flat. No use doing it on the point cuz it's damned near probe tender out of the bag

Anyone else do it a different way?

Sounds like what I do. From the side, thickest part of the flat. I don't do comps yet, so I am not worried about someone getting a slice with a probe hole in it.

A guy a thread back said his probe tender flat was perfect,
but the point could've used a few hours more.
If I ever do a whole packer, I'm gonna remember that.

I disagree with point being done before flat. Here is why...

The point will probe tender and feel like it is done before the flat. It will seem edible and be quite tender. But, it is greasy and doesn't bite clean.

Remove the point and cook it for another 30 to 45 minutes and it will render and the meat will be less greasy and easier to bite through. In Texas, traditionally, you slice the point the flat together, or they separate and sell brisket and point or lean and fatty. But, I suggest you give it a try, it is a whole lot better cut of meat if you cook the point a little bit longer.

Back