Primo XL vs Big Joe vs BGE XL

I am a KJ brand guy. I went for them for two reasons over everyone else

Customer service And warranty is the best in the buiseness. When you have a problem you deal with KJ direct, no dealer. Free shipping on all warranty items was a great touch too. This company is soaked into its customers like no other in my opinion.

The second reason is innovation. They have their finger on the pulse and adapt with change. They have created the divide and concur flexible cooking rack for two zone cooking, cast woks, Dutch oven, cast griddle inserts and so on.

The owner of the company routinely visits forums and answers questions and looks for feedback to improve the brand.

The last reason so there is more than two is that KJ what you pay gives you everything you need to start. You don't need to add a nest, side tables, tools, deflector stone.

I have the jr. Classic and big joe and absolutely love them.

You can't go wrong with any of the big three but customer service has been impeccable for KJ.

Just my .2 cents. You will be happy with whatever you get.

Question for those of you with large kamado cookers: do you find it replaces your Weber kettle for most uses or do you still break out your kettle frequently?

I use my ceramic all the time when its cold outside. During decent weather I use to use my kettle more but now that I have a big Joe and the divide and conquer system that has been cutting into the kettle use. Like I said earlier now I can do indirect/direct like a kettle and when smoking u have the full grate. I still love my kettle for rotisserie cooking.

I sold my kettles and WSM once I cooked the first time on a kamado.

Rock solid temps and the moist meats that are produced are second to none. Not for everyone, but it is an awesome awesome cooker!!

Ok

Ok..I made it out to the Primo dealer today.

They guy was VERY nice...and on the basic table, knocked off $100 and offered me 20% off any and all accessories I wanted to buy.
Primo XL was going to be about $1500 I think.

The *bad* thing was, they only had the small and large Primo ovals there...they did not have a Primo XL on site.

For this kind of $$, I have to be touchy feely with it and see it in person.

They do have a Primo XL in warehouse and can get it to me this weekend. And while I haven't made my mind up 100%..I think I have 99%.
I still need to add up the Primo numbers, but I think I'm gonna go with the XL BGE.

1. The BGE I have seen in person at the XL size. Seeing is believing and I don't wanna lay out nearly $2K when its over for something sight unseen.

2. I have seen videos of people stir frying in a wok on the round ceramic smokers, so far, I've not found much for Primo....and looking at only the L Primo, it didn't look roomy enough for a good old fashioned wok with a handle on it..to allow you to toss it round, etc...and I've not see accessories for rings to help support such. On the XL BGE, on the 3rd party site Ceramic Grill Store...they have the XL Woo2 that looks perfect for this. As an aside, I do seem to see more 3rd party accessories for the round ceramic cookers. So, the Woo2 combined with the lump reducer rings seem to be a winner for wok cooking.

3. Again, I was only looking at the L Primo..but first thing that struck me when looking at it opened and seeing the felt sealer...it seemed that it indicated that the ceramic wall was not as thick at the BGE. But this may be comparing L to XL between the lines, I did not see a XL Primo..so, I just don't know for sure. But if BGE has thicker ceramic walls, I think that's a plus.

4. The Primo is made is the USA..that's a BIG plus for me, but I'm not sure it will outweigh the bullet points above.

So, looking at it...I think it is between the Primo XL and the BGE XL. The KJ was not going to be available till a week or so..and I want a new toy this weekend. That's just who I am when I get the bug to buy something.

Both Primo and BGE can be delivered to me to play with this weekend.

The Primo appears to be MUCH cheaper than the BGE...

However, all things being equal...I don't see the Primo as easily used to high heat wok cook as readily as the BGE...and there still appears to be more 3rd party accessories for the BGE.
And while the Primo is VERY well suited for dual temperature zone cooking by design, if I get the XL BGE...it seems to be large enough with angle brackets and lump reducer rings, to do zone cooking whereas on the BGE L model, it just doesn't appear to be wide enough to do so as well. Just my observations and guesses on that one tho.

So, will give this thought overnight and morning..and make my choice. But I'm leaning VERY much towards the XL BGE at this point.

Please continue to post thoughts if you have them, but this is where I'm at so far.

I VERY much appreciate all the input on this and my other BGE related thread. You all have been MOST invaluable in helping me to understand these units and your thoughts after using them.

I'm still kinda PO'ed that the actual BGE forums, even with regsitration have not apparently granted me the ability to POST there to ask questions.

I have not been on here in quite a long time (my bad)...but I remember all the help I've gotten in the past and plan to be more of a regular participant in this great group of folks here.

I hope to shoot some good BBQ and Grilling Pr0n here soon and post to ya'll.

Again...thanks!!!

cayenne

Last edited:
Primo is great for smoking briskests and large amount of rib racks. It's size and shape is just more suitable to the shapes of certain meats. I'm sure the Egg could do the exact same thing, it's totally a matter of preference. Almost all of primo accessories can be purchased at Amazon or bbqguys.com. The feature I love the best on the primo is the divided firebox, I'm not sure if an Egg has this. Good luck in your choice, you seriously really can't mess up with any of the big 3 in my opinion.

The feature I love the best on the primo is the divided firebox, I'm not sure if an Egg has this.
That I know of, BGE does not have a accessory to split the firebox in half. However I have been replicating the spilt firebox with either bricks or a piece of 1/4 thick plate that I cut to fit. You can also use a half moon stone to create a direct side and a indirect side if you so chose. BGE and other aftermarket manufactures do sale the half moon stones. It does the same thing, just a different way of reaching the same end. Again, I have used either bricks or the cut plate with good results if anyone is looking for a cheap but effective way to half the firebox.

I have big joe and love it. It also has a divider for the fire box. I like the new divide and conquer grill rack system. Mine is the year before they offered it. Any of the 3 will do you right.

I love my Primo Junior, but still use my kettle quite a bit. Ceramics are closed lid cookers, and sometimes you need open fire. I'd also not get too hung up on size with ceramics. In the end they are meant to be backyard cookers. If you really want capacity look into offsets or verts.

Between the XL's I'd lean toward Primo, but I'd also be happy with a BGE. The oval is a more versatile design.

Another thing to consider is off season sales. Primo's can often be had at deep discounts during fall/winter months (my Junior/cedar table setup cost less than some brethren's kettle setups... deals are out there).

BGE's tend to not go on sale or clearance.

I have a variety of cookers including Egg, Kamado Joe Jr., Mak Pellet cooker and pretty much all webers from 26" on down. I enjoy all of them for different reasons which is kind of a cop out but the same as which is your favorite child?
I have traditionally cooked long cooks on the egg due to my confidence in it doing and overnight cook while I slept. I really like the Weber charcoal 22" up to 26" for their versatility and quick burn up time.
Fundamentally though, the larger your cooker(and more insulated), the longer to temp stability. The Egg has a thicker porcelain (?) body than the Joe I have which equates to more more fuel burned due to poor insulation. At 275 the Egg is ok to touch and my Joe is not.

Question for those of you with large kamado cookers: do you find it replaces your Weber kettle for most uses or do you still break out your kettle frequently?

I have the XL Primo and I easily fit an 18" paella pan on it. Yes, it is oval shape, but from front to back, it is still plenty big. You just need to see one in person. Insist on it. I would not buy the BGE until at least checking out the XL Primo in person. Either way, you will be getting a high quality cooker that will last a lifetime.

I can't remember if it's in this thread or your other one, slightly hung over and to lazy to find. But The Primo XL is easily accessorized. Not pictured are the stainless steel cart, ash tool, grate tool, two Oval 1"+ HD Ceramic deflector plates.

As you've probably noticed several will push you to "get what they got".

Honestly I think you'll be happy with any quality ceramic cooker

To some it means a lot to some not so much, Primo is Made in USA.

Last edited:
I've had an akorn for 3 years, and love it and have cooked a lot on my brother in law's BGE and love it too. We just built an outdoor kitchen and since it isn't covered, I wanted a ceramic grill in it. I went with the primo XL mostly for the shape and am really happy with that choice. I chose it so that I could fit whole racks of ribs and briskets on there, but honestly the main difference to me is having two zones. I almost always just fire one side of it and have the other side as a much lower zone which is nice for thicker steaks, and to keep stuff warm. Most of this has probably already been said in this thread, but wanted to throw my 2 cents out there as well.

One caveat to all of that, as I mentioned, I have an akorn as well that stays out of the rain. If you want to save about $1000, it is an absolutely great grill/smoker too, especially if you can find one on sale.

I'm curious when people talk about the zone cooking with the half stone. Really the temp is going to be the same it's just the side with the stone isn't getting pummeled with the direct heat right.

For me, I just use the divider without a stone on either side and only put charcoal on one side. The side without charcoal is still warm enough to cook, but the side with charcoal I use for searing.

I'm curious when people talk about the zone cooking with the half stone. Really the temp is going to be the same it's just the side with the stone isn't getting pummeled with the direct heat right.

I think your correct. I should out my oven thermometers on each side and see one day. I do use half a stone but I was thinking I didn't need to since I use the firebox divider.
Maybe I'll test temps with stone and without.

After cooking indirect I put stuff on direct to get a more crispy or a crust. Wings worked great that way.

I know BGE has fantastic customer service.
How about the others?
Always a huge concern for me.

I think your correct. I should out my oven thermometers on each side and see one day. I do use half a stone but I was thinking I didn't need to since I use the firebox divider.
Maybe I'll test temps with stone and without.

After cooking indirect I put stuff on direct to get a more crispy or a crust. Wings worked great that way.

Yea it's like 90 degrees in the shade and 90 in direct sun are the same physical temp but you'll get crispier in the sun. lol

Let us know how the test goes, I'm assuming the radiant energy coming back down keeps it the same....this will be interesting.

Yup that's one good thing sometimes going indirect then direct because you can control how much bark you want.

I purchased my XL through an internet supplier. They offered 15% off grill and accessories. Free freight and out of state so no sales tax. Delivered in less than a week.

Ok..pulled the trigger!!

Ok...
Just back in. I thought long and hard on it. And ended up with [drum roll]:

The Big Green Egg (BGE) XL.

It was between the Primio XL and the BGE XL.

I'd have likely saved about $200 after it was all done and over with between the two with the deals and options compared 1:1.

Likely as not, the deciding factor was...the Primo Dealer here did NOT have an XL model for me to look at and touch physically. Had I seen and been able to feel it, and picture cooking what I will cook in it....I might have gone that way.

One other thing was, and again, due to not being able to see the Primo XL in person...I could not picture a good set up with using a Wok to stir fry on it with concentrated high heat in one spot like I have seen with the BGE using true WooHoo2 (sp?) and a 16" or 19" wok, paired with a lump reducer ring. IN the BGE XL, that looks like it would easily work.

I know that isn't BBQ, but hey, if you can squeeze one more major functionality into a cooker, why not?

So, I plunked down and after taxes I got the BGE for $2007. That's BGE XL, plus nest with wheels, plus the shelves, plus a plate setter, plus the BGE XL "handle" thing you attach on the back for moving it around more readily, plus the cover...plus high NOLA tax.

The only thing I regret, is not having this idea a few weeks back when we had a State Sales Tax FREE weekend..I could have saved at least 4% off this..or about $80.

When I got there I was about to put the plastic down...and asked "When will this be delivered?" They said...."ooooh....our delivery days are Tue and Thur..and too late for today. I took the money back and said "well, deals off, I need this for this weekend....". They called a mgr and said it would be Tues.
I left politely and said, "Well, here's my contact info, you might want to speak to the mgr again about this. The folks selling the Primo XL have no problem getting this to me me by tomorrow. I'm gonna go eat lunch, and give ya'll a bit of time to see if you can work this out and I left.
I was eating sushi..and got the call.."No Problem sir, we can get it there by tomorrow afternoon, and we'll cut the delivery fee in half...and use one guy instead of two as quoted".

It is a small indie hardware shop..so, I appreciate they have small staff, etc....but I was polite and said what I wanted and felt that by laying down about $2K..they could dig up someone to deliver it.
I own nothing but a 2-seat sports car..so, it isn't possible for me to get it myself. And I've been stewing on this all week..and really want it to work with THIS weekend....practice for Labor Day weekend when I hope to have visitors over and cook for them.

Anyway...choice made, deal done...I'm happy with it...and I again THANK everyone for the great participation on my threads here.

You helped me make an informed decisions, and I hope these threads may help someone else out there searching for the same options.

cayenne

Last edited:
Back