pre trimming chicken

Since when do you have to be Amish to raise your own critters?I help a friend raise steers,and I am finally getting to try some brisket from an animal that I have seen raised from a couple days old to slaughter.The steers are butchered with a USDA inspector present.We see a lot of these animals go to friends and coworkers and several have talked with me about cooking briskets for them.I usually do a deal where they bring me 2 and they get one back and I get the other for cooking 1 for them.My quesion is these animals are butchered with a USDA inspector present and there is nothing in the rules that says you cant use them why not do it?Looking like I will get 5-7 briskets for myself out of this deal next spring.Our animals are pen raised with no growth hormones.It will be an interesting experiment.

Are there many Amish BBQ Teams? I suppose they don't use Guru's or pellet cookers.

Never thought about getting a receipt for meat. All our comp meat is given to us by a sponsor who owns a meat market. May need to think about getting a receipt of some sort in case the reps need one. Good thread.

I wouldn't worry about it too much in these parts, Chris. I've been to every current KCBS contest in the state and have never been asked to show labels, plus quite a few in Alabama and Tennessee. Can't vouch for FBA or MBN events though.

Still, we usually bring beef and pork in the original cryo and keep a chicken label in the container with the trimmed thighs just in case. The way I look at it is that it's no big deal to do but it would sure be a hassle to have to find good meat in a hurry if the inspector DQ'ed your stuff at check in.

Can they make up their own rules at a sanctioned event if there is no rule clearly stating you need this? I would argue with them and make them prove to me that this was in fact a rule. If there is nothing stating in the rules they cannot not enforce is, in my opinion.

We had an inspector say to us that he was glad that our chicken was in a seperate cooler because "he didnt like the meats mixed together". We do it that way just to keep from having any hassle.

Can they make up their own rules at a sanctioned event if there is no rule clearly stating you need this? I would argue with them and make them prove to me that this was in fact a rule. If there is nothing stating in the rules they cannot not enforce is, in my opinion.

I agree - rules are there for a reason. So if I was asked for a receipt and display a photocopied, 1 year old receipt for a case of brisket, case of ribs, etc....will that suffice for these overzealous inspectors?

As for the separate cooler business....perhaps if I was just throwing all of my meat, unwrapped, in a cooler it would be worth doing. But honestly, who doesn't wrap/bag their meat well enough to prevent contamination?

I agree - rules are there for a reason. So if I was asked for a receipt and display a photocopied, 1 year old receipt for a case of brisket, case of ribs, etc....will that suffice for these overzealous inspectors?

As for the separate cooler business....perhaps if I was just throwing all of my meat, unwrapped, in a cooler it would be worth doing. But honestly, who doesn't wrap/bag their meat well enough to prevent contamination?

what gets me is that RAW meat doesn't contaminate RAW meat. Even if and when it does, its no more contaminated than the meat that did the contaminating, and it'll all get cooked anyway. If some chicken has salmonella on it, what keeps it from contaminating the rest of the chicken in the bag that doesn't ? (i'm not arguing with you, I totally agree, I'm just throwing another thought in there)

So I guess you just have to keep the receipt in your trailer if you buy meat by the case?

I buy my chicken and ribs from a restaurant and he gives it to me in a plastic bag, no reciept, I give him green and a hand shake and I walk. I bring it home and kryovac. If they dq my meat for that, they should give meat out at comps.

what gets me is that RAW meat doesn't contaminate RAW meat. Even if and when it does, its no more contaminated than the meat that did the contaminating, and it'll all get cooked anyway. If some chicken has salmonella on it, what keeps it from contaminating the rest of the chicken in the bag that doesn't ? (i'm not arguing with you, I totally agree, I'm just throwing another thought in there)

Great point! That is exactly what I have been saying. How is this an issue?

I should probably take my beers out of that cooler though ;-)

Hello all! 1st post here, new member. My wife Valerie just e-mailed Fred Bohn From Dover Downs explaining the trimmed meat situation and how it is within the KCBS rules and he reponded that he misunderstood, and that we are right.

Chris

Hello all! 1st post here, new member. My wife Valerie just e-mailed Fred Bohn From Dover Downs explaining the trimmed meat situation and how it is within the KCBS rules and he reponded that he misunderstood, and that we are right.

Chris

hey chris thanks for the info, see you again this week. matt

So, do most teams do all of there trimming prior to the event? Or some at home and some at the event? We are competing in our first KCBS event in a couple of weeks and have heard conflicting comments.

Cooking temps are different for beef and chicken (http://www.fightbac.org/content/view/93/2/). Let's say my raw beef roast comes into contact with raw chicken and I then cook it to 145F internal, the ickies from the chickies may not be killed and I could get sick.

Cooking temps are different for beef and chicken (http://www.fightbac.org/content/view/93/2/). Let's say my raw beef roast comes into contact with raw chicken and I then cook it to 145F internal, the ickies from the chickies may not be killed and I could get sick.

you are 100% correct but I think they are speaking about brisket which is cooked way above 165 which is the temp where all bacteria dies.

If you are mixing chicken and a porterhouse that you are going to serve medium rare, than we have a problem!

Thinking outloud... If you cook to internal of 145... How are the ickies inside of the meat? Wouldn't they be on the outside, that is above 145?

I guess this is more of a question for me too...

I've never had a rep ask me for a receipt, but it doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. but i wonder what the sense is of asking for it ? There's nothing in the KCBS rules that says you need proof of buying the meat in a store or something. Hopefully a rep. or board member can shed some light on this receipt issue.

The only time a rep might ask for the receipt would be for Pork since it must be 5lbs. if it seems small. Other than that I see no reason anyone would ask.

Although it is not manditory you keep chicken seperate it is good practice. Any of us in the food industry know how quickly chicken can contaminate. Personally I like to see seperate cutting boards as well.

Chris

So it is OK to pretrim for Dover? Do we bring the receipt or the container that the meat came in as proof? Or does it not really matter now? Sorry lots of questions... This is our 2nd comp and the last thing I want to have to do is go find some meat in Delaware. :smile:

When I emailed Fred I didnt go into a lot of detail so thanks to Valerie for being persistant!!

Back