Potjie Pot

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dirt
Lately I've been enamored by the idea of cooking on campfires after a recent camping trip. I see what Cowgirl is doing and I've been watching Andrew Zimmern's Wild Game Kitchen a lot. I'm still trying to sort out an over the fire grate since I don't want to by junk that will ultimately have to replaced. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get a good enameled Potjie pot here in the states. What I've seen on Amazon seems to be Chinese made junk. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

https://potjiepot.com/

dont know about em really but quick google turned up that site, no idea who manufactures them tho

I'm fairly confident that those are all made in China. I did a bunch of research in 2012 before getting a South African-made #8 potjie and paid more than the they're asking for one now. I bought it from the vendor you linked, but bought thru their Amazon storefront since they had the same pricing there and I could get free prime shipping.

At that time, they carried both Chinese and African pots and discussed the differences in quality; the Chinese ones were much less expensive but also had much poorer quality. I looked back a few years later and they had stopped caring anything but Chinese-made potjies because the prices of both had gone up dramatically due to material and shipping costs.

Last edited:
How big of a potjie are you looking for?

If you want US-made, you'll probably have to get one that's sold as a Dutch oven. I don't think I've seen any very large enameled ones. Lodge has some made in the USA but they don't have legs and the largest is 7.5 qts: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/usaenamel

I just re-seasoned my #8 potjie last week for a chicken stew Saturday. It holds a bit less than 5 gallons.

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_165329314.jpg
    PXL_20231108_165329314.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 119
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. The search goes on.

Back