"Portable" Grill and/or Smoker

jemcgriff

Name or Nickame
J
[FONT=&quot]So, I want to be able to have the ability to grill and/or smoke anywhere I go. ( I enjoy/prefer cooking with charcoal)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have family in a few different spots, and I would love to whenever we visit, have the ability to break out a grill or a smoker and cook up something. One side of the family is large, upwards of 10 people, and one smaller at 5. My wife and I only have SUVs, so its not like I can just thrown anything in a truck bed and go.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can't seem to find the right balance of pros and cons, especially with size and portability, to decide what I should aim for. I don't want to haul my master touch everywhere I go if I can help it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is what I have so far.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Original Kettle 22 inch:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pros: inexpensive, all of my accessories will fit it, can grill and smoke, can cook a decent amount, and used to cooking on that size.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cons: bulbous shape, would have to take legs off to make it more portable each time. In some instances it would be too large for my needs, and sometimes too small. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jumbo Joe:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pros: very portable, 18 inch can hold the 18 inch slow n sear, least expensive. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cons: limited capacity, even more limited for low n slow cooking. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WSM 14 inch:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pros: Fairly portable and breaks down into smaller pieces, Best at low n slow, but still with some limited grilling capability, two cooking racks. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cons: Most expensive, still limited cooking capacity.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Thoughts anyone?

Look into the Weber Smokey Mountain line. I have the small one that I use when camping. It is just me and the wife so I did not really need a big smoker.

I'm not sure if Lowes will be bringing them back, but they were carrying the Fornetto Basso 18" bullet smoker. It's similar to the WSM Smokey Mountain 18", but it comes apart in sections and can be used as a smoker or grill. If you search the forum, you can find some pics of one in use.

How about a PK? They are portable and you can grill and smoke. Just slightly smaller in sq inches than Weber 22.

It sounds like you could use a Bubba Keg. They attach to your vehicles hitch

91-GZicmza8-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

Agree that WSM could fill most duties - take out middle section and then I’ve got a grill (or use middle section direct Santa Maria style) + smoker... pit barrel junior looks to pack easy as well but tricksy snuffing out coals... Napoleon Apollo series smokers more specifically outfitted and advertised to work multiple ways as described for WSM. Agree with above those travel ready PKs look awesome as well...

Napoleon…

Attachments

• 76594949-4448-48D2-B02D-F76882C82B37.jpg
    76594949-4448-48D2-B02D-F76882C82B37.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 137
The Hasty Bake Ranger 380 would work well for your needs. The only downside is the price compared to other options.

How far away is the family? I do all of my cooking at home, and transport the food with me. Most of our gatherings are about 30 minutes away, and they are horrible with time, so we normally eat like an hour late.

I put a Cambro in the back of my car, and the food stays hot till time to eat. A 'small' family gathering for us is 25, and I usually take a fair amount of the food. I don't like to prep or cook on site, as I feel I'm usually imposing or they are utilizing something I need.

Back