Pork shoulder 14 hours....

Luckyaddaam

Got Wood.
It was a few nights ago I wanted to smoke my first shoulder/butt, so at about 11:30pm I filled the charcoal basket and weed burnered it to getter going. By midnight I was at 230-340 and holding steady. So I went ahead and put on my 7.88lb seassoned shoulder and went to bed. At 6 am I got up and put in a thermometer with the plans of wrapping it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler when it hits 195. So the day progresses and I brush it with a cola seassoning mixture about every 2 hours. At 2:30 pm I noticed my uds temp was 200 ish. what the fbrvshz÷:!&"?? Lol 14 hours is apparently how long it takes me to burn through a basket of charcoal briquettes. My internal temp hit 184. So I wrapped it and put on my grill. I **** for 240 but it wouldn't go that low. So 350ish it was until 195. Then a few hours rest then dinner. Some good eats right there. Even tho it didn't go as I planned. It pleased swmbo. (( someone who must be obeyed) my wife is from the Carolinas and she said thems some good eats babe. Lol pics to follow

It was a few nights ago I wanted to smoke my first shoulder/butt, so at about 11:30pm I filled the charcoal basket and weed burnered it to getter going. By midnight I was at 230-340 and holding steady. So I went ahead and put on my 7.88lb seassoned shoulder and went to bed. At 6 am I got up and put in a thermometer with the plans of wrapping it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler when it hits 195. So the day progresses and I brush it with a cola seassoning mixture about every 2 hours. At 2:30 pm I noticed my uds temp was 200 ish. what the fbrvshz÷:!&"?? Lol 14 hours is apparently how long it takes me to burn through a basket of charcoal briquettes. My internal temp hit 184. So I wrapped it and put on my grill. I **** for 240 but it wouldn't go that low. So 350ish it was until 195. Then a few hours rest then dinner. Some good eats right there. Even tho it didn't go as I planned. It pleased swmbo. (( someone who must be obeyed) my wife is from the Carolinas and she said thems some good eats babe. Lol pics to follow

I'll assume that you meant to write "230-240". That's the way I used to try to smoke pork butts, as I too grew up in North Carolina and "low and slow" was the only way to do it. I've learned many things since joining this fine forum, among which are 1.) 260-280F is fine for butts and briskets and ribs, wrapping them with butcher paper (better than foil IMHO) at 165-175F and rolling them up to "done" from there, and 2. What constitutes "done"; time and temps are useful guides(with good probes-I use a 2-probe Quik-Chek model 732 or 733, forget which) BUT the real, final test for done is FEEL of the meat with the meat probe, thus the term "probe tender."

I just smoked a 16.4lb. prime Costco brisket, rendered down (hard fat removal) to probably 14.5-.7 net lbs. Sombich took 13 hours to reach "done" with my WSM rolling at 265-275F the whole time. Stalled for an hour at 155F internal temp, wrapped it in butcher paper at 170F, and it again stalled for an hour at 180F IT. Every piece of meat acts differently, as has been said above. That's why the actual feel of the meat with the probe gives better final results than going by just time or temp. It turned out to be the finest brisket I've ever tasted. And that's thanks to the generously shared knowledge of the good folks on this site. And that's also why I support this site financially. Just paying forward as recognition for what they've taught me. As a Q-er I've advanced more in 5 months of being a watcher/member here than I did in the previous 30 years!:shocked:

Last edited:
Back