Pork neck?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
My favorite cut of meat at my local Korean bbq place is pork neck. It’s a nice balance of meat and fat, like a less fatty version of pork belly. I can only find pork neck bones in the markets, domestic or Asian. Does anyone know if the pork neck meat is attached to other popular cuts?

Pork neck begins right behind the hogs ears, and ends at the top of the shoulder. Sometimes you can find a neck roast. I'm smoking 9 pounds of neck bones today.

IfHoICB.jpg

European style butchering often cut the collar (base of the neck to the loin) which can be sinfully rich and delicious. I've only braised a whole collar, but would love to BBQ one in the future.

That "money muscle" on a pork butt is part of the neck (I believe, not a butcher, just a farm guy). It's just (as said above) that in the US the butchers don't cut it like they do in the EU. So you just get a tiny part of it. Kind of a pain if you are making capicola as you don't get so much yield.

Pork neck is indeed very tasty and very popular Korean BBQ item along with pork belly. The pork neck I've found at grocery stores in Atlanta are not for BBQ but for pork stews such as gamjatang which is pork bone soup with potatoes. Gamjatang is simply awesome and if you never had it, you need to seek it out. It's worth it.

If you're looking to grill and want something similar to pork neck, an easy and great substitute is pork butt. We buy the boneless pork butt from Costco and slice it thin and marinate in kalbi sauce and grill it. It's fantastic.

My favorite cut of meat at my local Korean bbq place is pork neck. It’s a nice balance of meat and fat, like a less fatty version of pork belly. I can only find pork neck bones in the markets, domestic or Asian. Does anyone know if the pork neck meat is attached to other popular cuts?

My butcher cuts his meat european style, so rather than having the money muscle on what is traditionally just pork shoulder, it's kept in tact and separated from the shoulder. They can be cut into chops but I usually get 2.5-3 pound chunk. I've cured & smoked it, treated like bacon. Also sous vide it low temp then cooled sliced and seared off for amazing pork "burgers". So versatile as it's so nicely marbled- one of my favorites

Back