THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Not really sure what to call it. I was flipping through my notebook recently and looked at the "chunky bologna" from a couple of years back and based this off of that process. I never liked that name though as bologna brings to mind a certain texture that this didn't have. Anyhow........on with the post.

I didn't even think about taking the usual cutting of the butt and grinding pics, but it did indeed happen. :mrgreen:

To give it some texture I went with roughly 1/3 hand cut chunks, 1/3 coarse grind, and 1/3 fine grind for the pork.

The mix was:

%100 Pork
2.2% Sea Salt
2.0% Sugar
.2% Black Pepper
.2% Paprika
.2% Mustard Powder
.25% Cure #1

I had cut and ground the meat the night before and just had it in a gallon zip lock in the fridge overnight. Dumped it into the kitchen aide bowl and then the picture part hit me. :loco:

CM1MLzj.jpg

Added the seasoning and give it a mix for a minute or two.

UqrEheH.jpg

Stuffed that into a 100mm (3 7/8") collagen casing.

bE1acLx.jpg

Vac packed and into the sous vide at 150 degrees for just over 4 hours. Out of the sous vide and into an ice bath to cool it down. Let it sit in the fridge over night before slicing.

MYMOjzQ.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, especially on the texture front, could have been a little more aggressively seasoned, but otherwise, wouldn't change anything. I ran it through the slicer and had sandwiches, some cut up on crackers over the last several days. Even though it was a "small batch", 3 pounds of meat gives you a pretty good stock pile.

Yesterday we were having burgers and I thought I would toss a slice or two on the grill for a potential burger topping.

PPR3tk0.jpg

Oh man, that worked well, a little time on the grill really made this shine. It really held together nice and the flavor really came out. Could have really used a little thicker slice if I had to critique things.

Anyhow, I'll do this again sometime down the road even if it is just for a topping on burgers. :mrgreen:

Looks straight up awesome, did you think of a light smoking at all, just looking at your spice mix.

I wanted to smoke it, but as often happens, life interferes with plans. I probably should have just kept it in the fridge until I could get to it..........but I didn't. :mrgreen:

Smoking it would have been a big plus.

That's great!

Love the different grinds technique. I finally tried 2 different grinds for some andouille a few weeks back and now I'm all :doh: why didn't I do that before? :noidea:

Great stuff, Joe! I'm seeing a fried slice of that in a grilled cheese sammich. :hungry:

Love the different grinds technique. I finally tried 2 different grinds for some andouille a few weeks back and now I'm all :doh: why didn't I do that before? :noidea:

Great stuff, Joe! I'm seeing a fried slice of that in a grilled cheese sammich. :hungry:

Yes, I remember that feeling well. One of many things that make you think "son of a.........why did I not already do this." LOL

And yes, grilled cheese is a prime candidate for this. :mrgreen:

Back