Pork Loin Spiral Sunday Dinner

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I bought a Pork Tenderloin at the market, decided to cut it in two and freeze half for a later date. With the remaining piece I didn't want to simply grill it as a tenderloin. I butterflied it, pounded it thin and decided to fill it with a mixture comprised of Diced Mushrooms, Onion, Garlic and Diced Red Peppers. Just something different that hopefully will be good. I didn't really want to make a Duxelles which would be too much of a paste and not what I was looking for.

Ready to be rolled -

go871vf.jpg

Forgot to take indoor pics, but here it is all tied up, seasoned with Oakridge Santa Maria and out on the Goldens' -

1Tv2dfL.jpg

Flip it after 20 minutes or so for a nice char -

tbgLIEV.jpg

After about 50 minutes, add the remaining filling that didn't make it into the spiral. It's just about done -

ysZomi7.jpg

After a short rest, slice it up -

Bsjikkw.jpg

VtSK5HN.jpg

Sunday Dinner is served -

KethNVd.jpg

g5lC35B.jpg

I have to say this was as good as it looks. The mushrooms and red peppers were a nice touch and the Oakridge rub brought out the best in this pork loin.

As always, thanks for reading through this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks fantastic and I have no doubt it was a hit! I would like to see an "Inspired by Dom" Throwdown, but I'm afraid everyone would be too intimidated to enter. :laugh:

Looks fantastic! I’ve always wondered how to make sure the inside layers get cooked enough without the outside layer getting overcooked.

That looks fantastic and I have no doubt it was a hit! I would like to see an "Inspired by Dom" Throwdown, but I'm afraid everyone would be too intimidated to enter. :laugh:

I am humbled and grateful for all the kind sentiments in this thread. Thank you all for allowing me to experiment and have some fun with this hobby, surrounded and encouraged by the best.

I had thoughts of using a bread stuffing but we just did that for Thanksgiving dinner. A spinach and something filling was another idea but I was in the mood for mushrooms and we always have red peppers on hand so that made the decision easy. Plus it was colorful!

Looks fantastic! I’ve always wondered how to make sure the inside layers get cooked enough without the outside layer getting overcooked.

I didn't do anything specific to ensure this, just made sure it was cut and pounded consistently thin. Taking temps with the Thermapen was tricky, I had to probe in different locations since I didn't know if the tip was in mushrooms or pork. I went for an average final temp of 145F. Roasting it in the CI casserole helped and I wasn't fighting the potential of the filling falling through the grate.

This was tonite's leftover dinner for me, now I wish I'd made the entire tenderloin. I can always make it again. :mrgreen:

I like it!

Just bought a few loins on sale and will give this a try but maybe spin it on the Weber.

Back