Pork butt on a UDS

i never flip mine also very little wood for a smoke flavor like 3 chunks that is all you need .do not add any wood either .cook on it again with all these tips you should have a good cook have fun

I had 5 or 6 sticks on the coals about 2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. I guess I had too much on. The other grill/smoker I have burns right through them, even with all the vents closed it still takes on a lot of air. Next time I may just use one or 2 sticks since it seems they are better utilized in the UDS. I was surprised to see that at the end of my cook, none of the sticks had burned more than half way.

i never flip mine also very little wood for a smoke flavor like 3 chunks that is all you need .do not add any wood either .cook on it again with all these tips you should have a good cook have fun

I also never flip mine, and most of the time don't even take the lid off until time to wrap. I just recently started wraping and it seems to be helping alot. As far as wood goes, couple chunks of cherry and couple hickory and I'm good to go for 12 to 14 hours without ever looking.

I only use 1-2 chunks of wood. Maybe 2" x 6". will smoke for 10 hrs. and still have a chunk left!
I always foil them after ~6-8 hrs. and cook to at least 205. Put in a chest for ~ 1-2 hrs. and then 95% will pull like a charm. I still get the one in twenty tough ass butt that just will not pull like the rest!

Cardiac I got hold of some Kingsford charcoal awhile back that produced a taste similar to what your talking about in my mobile offset, I switched over to Royal Oak after giving the firebox and cooking chamber a good pressure washing and haven't had anymore problems. I've noticed in the UDS that if you use large amounts of wood or 'strong' scented woods like hickory you'll get a different almost harsh taste in the meat. I find in the UDS that apple or oak chunks about 2 - 3 inches each produce a good mild flavor.

Good luck hope you get it worked out soon.

I only use 1-2 chunks of wood. Maybe 2" x 6". will smoke for 10 hrs. and still have a chunk left!
I always foil them after ~6-8 hrs. and cook to at least 205. Put in a chest for ~ 1-2 hrs. and then 95% will pull like a charm. I still get the one in twenty tough ass butt that just will not pull like the rest!

Yep. for total unifority, nothing beats a McRib sandwich.

Back