THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Hogger

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Terry
So I wanted to enter the "Cast Iron" throwdown and there was a pork butt sitting in the fridge just waiting to be cooked.
I thought about smoking it in a cast iron dutch oven and then pulling it, but in keeping with the spirit of the throwdowns, I wanted to challenge myself by doing something I haven't tried before.
After a little bit of research I came across what I hoped would be a good Idea.

Stuffed Pork Butt.

I started by de-boning and butterflying the butt.
Then I sauteed some chopped onion, garlic, and green chiles.
I spread that on the meat and sprinkled on some cotija cheese and some Red rub from Hard Core Carnivore.
After rolling it up and tying it, it was time to put it into the smoke. Since the name of the throwdown was "Cast Iron" I put a cast iron griddle down on top of the cooking grate of my drum smoker before throwing the butt in at 300 degrees.
When the internal temp hit 165 out she came.

I had no idea what the results would be. There were many times when I was experimenting with something outside my comfort zone that I was sorely disappointed. But I keep on swinging for the fences. The home runs have a way of easing the shame and embarrassment of the failures.

I didn't strike out this time, but I didn't knock it out of the park either. I wasn't completely disappointed but I am already thinking about what I'm going to do differently next time.
Thanks for looking. Enjoy the pron.

Attachments

• Ci1.jpg
    Ci1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 448
  • ci2.jpg
    ci2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 444
  • ci3.jpg
    ci3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 445
  • ci4.jpg
    ci4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 445
  • ci5.jpg
    ci5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 442
  • ci6.jpg
    ci6.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 441
  • ci7.jpg
    ci7.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 443
  • ci8.jpg
    ci8.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 440
  • ci9.jpg
    ci9.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 440
  • ci10.jpg
    ci10.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Would you share what you wish you'd done differently?

Don't get me wrong. It turned out better than I thought it would. It looked awesome and was delicious.
If you notice the pics of it sliced, you can't really tell that it was stuffed.
Thats because most of the filling squoze out onto the cutting board when I rolled it up.
I don't have a cutting board big enough to pound a piece of meat as big as that down as thin as I would have liked to.
Next time I think I will cut it into 2 or 3 pieces. That way I should be able to pound it down to about a quarter inch or so.
I also think I might go with some other kind of stuffing. Maybe something with a little more body to so it doesn't end up all over the cutting board. Believe me. That was one heck of a mess to clean up.
I have learned from the experience.

After all. This was only the first draft.
Stay tuned.

Back