PK Grill - Here's how to connect BBQ Guru

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I recently got a PKTX and it's great. However, I have a BBQ Guru that I use on my Red Box Smoker and I wanted to see how it would work on the PKTX. But, while BBQ Guru has many different adapters, they do not have a fitting for the PK Grill. I did some research and found on the Facebook PK Fanatics group a couple of guys that found a way using plumbing parts. (Thank you to "AC T" on Facebook, if you are reading this).

The examples I found were on the PK Original and the plumbing was connected to both openings on the right side. However, the PKTX does not allow for that configuration because the stand gets in the way and the plumbing will have to come out either the side (if you want to plumb both openings) or at an angle using just the front opening and plugging the rear opening. I chose the latter because I don't think it matters (2 vs. 1) when using the BBQ Guru.

My plumbing setup is different from what I found on from PK Fanatics in that I incorporated a ball valve so that I could use the PK without the BBQ Guru if I chose go old school vent control only.

I got all the plumbing parts from Home Depot ($20 or so); the 7/8" (2" diameter) washers from Grainger ($5); and the BBQ Guru fan adapter from BBQ Guru ($27+ shipping). Plumbing is simple from the inside - 1/2" elbow + 7/8" washer to outside 1/2" street elbow to 1/2" to 3/4" reducer to ball valve to 3/4" fan adapter. Snug it up and you're ready to go. I plugged up the rear opening with 1" fender washers + nut/bolt. The cool thing here is that it can be easily removed and there's no permanent mods or damage to the PK.

Today was the first run and I've got a PMB (Poor Man's Brisket) in there. Been running at 250 deg exactly for the last 3 hours. It's still got a ways to go, but it is steady as a rock.

Here's the rig:

Front View

View from the rear

Close up of front

Food Pics

After 4hrs @ 250. Pulled then wrapped in butcher paper and held in warmer (Coleman cooler)

Came out great. Best PMB I've done!

Last edited:
Good job!

Wish they made the 360 in red like that.

How you liking the new pkgo?

Good job!

Wish they made the 360 in red like that.

How you liking the new pkgo?

I absolutely LOVE my PKGO. I think if I had gotten my PKGO first, I probably would have held off on the PKTX and found a way to justify getting the PK360. :p

I bet that there are some pretty particular SCA gents that would like to see this post. Those dudes are accurate and calculated.

Back