Pitch it or fix it?

What should I do with my free COS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Avoid the Brinkmann. Shirley Fabrication has a backyard offset that they'll custom build for a VERY reasonable price for you if you want a smoker of that type. Under a thousand I think. If you get an offset, get something you'll have for a lifetime. Just learn what temp your pit is comfortable with and you can toss the IQ. Besides, playing with fire management is fun.

Shirley is run by TuscaloosaQ, a member here. Beautiful craftsmanship skills.

From experience I can tell you that a cheap offset is just that. While you can make heat diffuser plate modifications, it will always have a lot if variances. I can't remember when they first came out, but I bought one as they claimed they were professional pits.

Modifications to the firebox, heat diverter, moving the exhaust for reverse flow, welding blankets to help stabilize the heat, and gaskets. The modified unit worked better but required time to manage the cook because it was not designed to be efficient and uniform. Although the modifications did help somewhat, it was always a chore to cook large pieces of meat on.

All the time and money involved was simply an expensive lesson in being cheap. I could have bought a much better smoker for what I paid for it plus all the money I put into modifications. Yes you do get what you pay for in most cases, sometimes a lot less that what you pay for.

If you want a stick burner save and get a proven unit like a Lang or another well known proven manufacturer. If you're looking at a WSM don't cheap out on another brand.

But follow your desire; if you want to mod it and use it, go ahead.... Heck, Myron boasts he can cook great BBQ in a trash can....

Heck, Myron boasts he can cook great BBQ in a trash can....
And here is the Proof
trashcan-cooker20copy.jpg

There are two types of pit masters those that can cook on most every style of pit and can manage a fire and there are those that rely on techno crap an don't have a clue. You are in the second group get a WSM.

:laugh:

Good stuff right here.

I started off where you are. Before you decide what to do with this smoker, review what you want to do with it.

Where do you live? Florida, which means no below zero temperature winter smoking, but, how low do winter temperatures go where you live? Outside air temperature and wind plays a huge role in using a COS. Lower temperature smoking in a COS is a very inefficient and expensive activity, might be better to spend that cash on nicer meat instead of fuel.

Is spare time something you have little of? If yes, store the COS to play with later when your lifestyle changes or pass it along. It's all well and good to say if you learn to cook on this you can cook on anything, I agree with it….. but, if you are regularly pressed for time you will rarely use that COS and that will stand in the way of you learning to cook on it. Don't forget the learning curve will cost several hundreds of dollars in meat and charcoal, maybe more.

Do you want to smoke large pieces of meat eventually? It's takes a considerable amount more time to do that on a COS.

I bought a second hand Charbroil COS for $50 and it was a waste of money for me. I live in Ontario, Canada, and cook through the winter so it was a terrible choice of smoker for me. Subzero winter smoking must always factor into smoker choice if that's your geographic reality.

I have limited time to play with my smoker while it's cooking. I have a kamado now and smoke meat anywhere from weekly to biweekly, but sometimes more often. If I was still using the COS, I wonder if I would use it twice a year, just don't have that much time to blow off these days. If I was still using that COS I would hardly know how to BBQ, but because I bought a kamado, I have a lot of experience making and eating BBQ. A busy person needs a simpler cooker.

I like to smoke whole pork legs and whole pork shoulders. My COS could do ribs, chicken and fatties within half a day from start to finish. I can't imagine how long I'd have to babysit a whole pig leg. :shock: They take 14 hours in my kamado at 250'F, would take a lot longer in a COS. I would never have learned to smoke a pig leg in my COS, yet smoking whole pig legs has become one of my greatest joys in life. Don't let the smoker you decide to invest in separate you from life's special joy.

I got a super heavy-duty charcoal basket welded for my COS at the cost of about $70. Bad move, the basket is worth more than the smoker and now that I've dumped the smoker I have an expensive basket sitting in the barn doing nothing. I made a cardboard mock up so was able to work out a beautiful design to go in and out of an offset firebox with one handle. I'll never get the money back I paid and I used it about three times. You absolutely need a basket for a COS, make it cheap yourself, don't throw away money getting a good one made. The basket is for charcoal efficiency and will give you about 20 - 30 minutes of time for yourself in between chimneys of lit coal. Without the basket I had to light chimneys back to back to keep it going at temp. I tried the baffle in about three different positions but never found its sweet spot. Charcoal efficiency is an aspect of smoking that is seldom discussed and over years the fuel will be a larger investment than the smoker itself. Don't forget this. A UDS is one of the most efficient charcoal burners around. Cheap vertical smokers will always be more charcoal efficient than cheap offsets. Trading your COS for a Weber kettle or other and making it into a UDS is one of the best ideas I've seen, sure wish I'd heard/taken that advice when I was in your position. I spent about 4 times more on charcoal to smoke in my COS than I do now in my kamado. If you plan to smoke meat once or twice a week the charcoal inefficiencies will add up fast.

I started off where you are. Before you decide what to do with this smoker, review what you want to do with it.

Lower temperature smoking in a COS is a very inefficient and expensive activity, might be better to spend that cash on nicer meat instead of fuel.

If you plan to smoke meat once or twice a week the charcoal inefficiencies will add up fast.

Well said, obviously from your personal experiences....

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for the WSM, I'm guessing Brinkman's knock off(Smoke N Grill) of it is a bad idea? The price is a six times less but you usually get what you pay for...

The smoke n grill is pretty terrible. For a few bucks more you can get a brinkmann gourmet, though, which is pretty decent. The only mod I made was adding a charcoal grate with a few s-hooks in the charcoal pan. I've he a lot of great cooks on that setup and have never had to cook overnight either. Only tech I have is a maverick thermo

The Smoke N Pit is truly hardly worth the effort to throw it away. It's that bad. You're significantly better off trying to put some smoke on the meat using your grill and finishing in the oven than anything dealing with this POS, and I'm pretty darned good at fire control (it's what I've done since I was 10 yrs old). There are hundreds of good and reasonably inexpensive options. Before buying something super cheap and spending money and effort modifying it to work worth a damn, I suggest buying the thing that works great to start with. For an inexpensive smoker, the WSM is that. There are guys who've won big big big contests with a few WSM's; these things COOK. Me, I threw away my smoke n pit back in the 1980's (seriously).

You probably want to get something else of more substance for reliability, but i would keep the brinkman if anything, to do high heat chicken grilling while your other cooker is doing brisket and ribs when throwing a party.

I have the Chargriller Outlaw, which I modded to be a very reliable cooker. Lots of work went into it, but it was a lot of fun.

Here's the thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2766103#post2766103

Smokin Pit

I have a smokin pit and made a few mods to it like a horizon tuning plate, moved the stack, heavier firebox grate. Didn't cost much, and I can keep temps 10 deg from one side to the other. I got to making it a stick burner only. The only reason I bought the PCC is because I wanted more room. You have to watch the Brinkman closer, but it is a good cooker.
IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Iv'e cooked all winter with it, I'll I do is wrap an insulator blanket over it, and it works fine. You go through a little more wood, but it's worth it for Q in December.

Impressive, brother. I didn't and won't take the time to do it for myself but I do appreciate when someone can do it and does it. :thumb: My kamado is a big time saver and the only reason I've smoked a lot of meat and had so much fun doing it.

+ 1 for the WSM. It will hold temps rock steady for 14 hours or more even with water in the pan. No IQ required but an IQ will really pin it down.

I got a Brinkman Smoke 'N Pit recently for free and am debating pushing it to the curb and posting that it's available for free on craigslist. After reading all the problems with the design and adding to that the fact I want to use a Pitmaster IQ110 I am looking for some advice. Should I spend $100-150 trying to make the COS work by sealing it up, adding a coal basket to the firebox, building a damper etc, or just spend that money towards something better suited to the job? The Brinkman is an older, earlier model that is basically sound but has all the design flaws that make it poorly suited to what I want to do. How much should I spend to get a good smoker that I can use the Pitmaster IQ 110? I am not looking to feed a multitude, just family and friends, maybe 10-20 people max.

Guess some people are missing where you said that you got this for FREE.

As for the mods, not sure why the mods you listed would cost you $100 - $150. A tube of RTV, a piece of expanded metal to fashion a basket and a couple of pieces of plate steel ? Go to a scrap yard and you can pick up what you need for cheap. Or go to a metal shop and ask if you can buy some stuff from their scrap bin.

Hell, put $50 into doing the mods then sell the thing as a modded offset and put the profits towards a smoker that will work with your Pitmaster IQ

i loved this thread! loved the mods to the stickburners. i would keep the thing, clean it up and get it running just to cook on it for what it is, with no more expectations than what it is capable of. it might not be the most efficient thing on the block but you're gonna have fun messing with it and sometimes thats what it's all about. i am going to have to get behind getting the wsm though, if for no other reason but that it will last forever. they don't rust. and you can replace anything that needs be readily, and the potential quality of the q that can be produuced on it rivals ANYTHING out there!

Smoke N Pit

I had my Smoke N Pit for 2 years, just started using wood splits, works much better now.Mod it, then use splits, should be fine!!
I tried to get even heat across the pit, now I like it the way it is.. I have 3 heating zones to work with. Hot N Fast by the fire box, medium in the center, Low N Slooow at the far end.
DanB

Back