Linseed Oil Treatment To a Natural Finih BBQ Smoker

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
Really looking hard on a natural finish BBQ smoker and searched You Tube for applying Linseed Oil to cure the outside finish but not much luck and the people that I found really scared me in their process , lol . What do you guys use for oil and your process ? Some say boiled Linseed oil and some say mineral oil but the process of how to apply correctly really confuses me and your guys knowledge will help me me if I want to even go with this kind of natural finish cooker .

Really looking hard on a natural finish BBQ smoker and searched You Tube for applying Linseed Oil to cure the outside finish but not much luck and the people that I found really scared me in their process , lol . What do you guys use for oil and your process ? Some say boiled Linseed oil and some say mineral oil but the process of how to apply correctly really confuses me and your guys knowledge will help me me if I want to even go with this kind of natural finish cooker .

I just treated my new Blue Collar Smoker - spoke to a couple different pit builders and watched various videos and this is the method I used

1. Wiped down the outside of pit with distilled vinegar to clean and remove any unwanted rust

2. Wiped down outside of pit with mineral spirits

3. Seasoned inside of pit with peanut oil on walls and avacado oil on grates

4. Started a big fire - ran it between 350 and 450 for 5 hours. When the surface of the firebox and chamber got over 400, I applied boiled linseed oil. For the stack, collector and frame, I used a propane flame thrower to heat that metal - and once the surface reached 400 degrees - applied boiled linseed oil to those areas. I simply used a sponge to apply the oil - but be careful - the linseed oil can combust on a towel or sponge - so be careful with how you dispose of those

I just treated my new Blue Collar Smoker - spoke to a couple different pit builders and watched various videos and this is the method I used

1. Wiped down the outside of pit with distilled vinegar to clean and remove any unwanted rust

2. Wiped down outside of pit with mineral spirits

3. Seasoned inside of pit with peanut oil on walls and avacado oil on grates

4. Started a big fire - ran it between 350 and 450 for 5 hours. When the surface of the firebox and chamber got over 400, I applied boiled linseed oil. For the stack, collector and frame, I used a propane flame thrower to heat that metal - and once the surface reached 400 degrees - applied boiled linseed oil to those areas. I simply used a sponge to apply the oil - but be careful - the linseed oil can combust on a towel or sponge - so be careful with how you dispose of those

Thanks buddy and will do your method and should be ordering one very soon .

Workhorse had a couple vids on the process. Every now and then I use a car wash sponge, cut into fourths and wipe down my 1975 when I’m doing a cook. Works great, easy to do, looks great. So be careful about the sponge spontaneously combusting when I discard it or when applying. I use welding gloves

This is what workhorse uses.

Klean-Strip Green GLO45 Boiled Linseed Oil, 1-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUEOXFI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_4YVJJXA882K0R2T9GCSV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another thread for you
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292175
No need to use weed torch. Just heat up the smoker as per usual. I tried applying it to the steel before heating up the smoker and after. Didn't seem to make a difference although it was easier to apply when the steel has been heated.

Just be careful about drying out the rags afterwards due to the spontaneous combustion risk.

I like this brand since it does not have any drying agent chemicals
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/danish-oil/

Another thread for you
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292175
No need to use weed torch. Just heat up the smoker as per usual. I tried applying it to the steel before heating up the smoker and after. Didn't seem to make a difference although it was easier to apply when the steel has been heated.

Just be careful about drying out the rags afterwards due to the spontaneous combustion risk.

I like this brand since it does not have any drying agent chemicals
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/danish-oil/

thanks and they will go in the burn barrel as soon as i am done with them and seen a video of one catching on fire .

Lonestar Grillz recommends mineral oil on the exterior of their cookers. The Lonestar Grillz have a finish on them vs natural. It has served me well over the last several years given the wet environment we have in the Northwest. The smoker still looks like new.

You can also take a look at how Jeremy Yoder (Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube) did his Offset from Aaron Franklin. That is a natural finish as well.

Every time I see one of these oiled up patina smokers it's for Instagram and it's never been used. How well does the finish hold up with use?

I have had my pit for about a month - has been sitting outside uncovered while i wait on my cover

No rust and looks like it did when I did the original treatment

We are suppose to get up in the high 80’s for the next few days - so I went ahead and applied a second coat of boiled linseed oil last evening just for some added protection - very easy, got a good fire rolling, applied the boiled linseed oil with a sponge, and let the fire run another 2 or so hours

Hope my cover comes in next week - after that will plan on applying another coat every 9 months or so - pretty easy process

Back