THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Did Ribs

I finally did some ribs. I decided to a rack of baby back and a rack of spares.
The rub is something I threw together that included.
Brown sugar, white sugar, granulated garlic, salt, chili powder, PBC Beef and Game, smoked paprika, onion flakes, pepper.

I cut the tip end off the spare and hung that separately. It was nice snack.

Both racks went for 3 about 3.5 hours.
I pulled them off and put a light brushing of sauce. Then back on for about 20.
Backs were done, but the spares told me they wanted another 20.

Both racks were amazing.

Edit: I also put on some beets and rutabaga. We love them root veggies and they cook so well on the PBC. Olive and salt. Right on the rack side of the hinged grate for about 2 hours, or fork tender. And two whole heads of garlic just for fun.

Attachments

Last edited:
anyone get the grill grates yet?

Not on my PBC, but I did get Grill Grates for my propane grill. They are amazing. Grill still looks like junk, but it cooks like a champ!

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts"

I apologize for the dumb question that is probably covered somewhere in the 296 pages.... but could you add a couple of pieces of rebar to a UDS and some hooks and get the same cooking effect? I finally finished a UDS that I didnt really need, and trying to figure out what to do with it.

I apologize for the dumb question that is probably covered somewhere in the 296 pages.... but could you add a couple of pieces of rebar to a UDS and some hooks and get the same cooking effect? I finally finished a UDS that I didnt really need, and trying to figure out what to do with it.

Absolutely, really no magic to it

That is exactly what I did with my uds build
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

It works really well, I ordered the hooks from PBC. You can get alot of food in there with the hooks and two hinged racks.

Is there a Steelers logo on the back or something? Thanks for the help, fellas.

Just noticed you have 2 WSM's and it'll work on the WSM as well. There is apparently a WSM specific hanging rack available from Weber to do just that. You've got some choices. :-D

My hanging grill grate could use a decent washing beyond just brushing it.

What do you cats use to clean your grates. Is this a simple soap and water or is there some magic to it?

Oh, Im not a Steelers fan. I dont claim any NFL team, growing up in New England when the Pats were terrible then moving out west. I will watch an occasional playoff game, or host a super bowl party for an excuse to cook a lot of food, but that's about it. I cant stomach an NBA game and watching hockey sucks, so I stick to baseball.

My hanging grill grate could use a decent washing beyond just brushing it.

What do you cats use to clean your grates. Is this a simple soap and water or is there some magic to it?

Soap and water, don't want to ruin that seasoning. If you do want to strip them down and get them looking new, liberal amounts of GOJO, steel wool, and scrubbing will do it.

Never done it with grill grates, but did it to some baking pans many years ago.

PBC fanatic here! Got a 6lb brisket on now...first cook for 2017 too :)

Please indulge me...there are tons of threads covering this all around the internet but I'm so proud to say after a year of ownership i finally figured out how to get the perfect internal temp on my PBC

The troubleshooting steps were essentially: 1) lid seals tightly to cooker 2) never adjusted vent (<500 ft elevation) 3) fill basket remove exactly 40 briquets for chimney 4)15/10/10 = 15min chimney burn then drop them into PBC basket, 10min burn no lid or rebar, 10min lid on no rebar 5) here's the huge lesson learned: i slowly turned the vent side a quarter turn AWAY from the direction of the breeze outside (with meat hanging...do this at your own risk lol but the PBC just slides perfectly on its stand)and the internal temp went from 220 to 290 and never left the 280-290 range for the rest of the cook!!!

So now my PBC is finally set it and forget it! Previously i kept watching the temp on my Maverick etc and offsetting then closing the lid which as any PBC owner knows causes huge temperature spikes and drops.

So happy now and hopefully this will help future PBC brethren

I love the wind quarter turn idea. I feel like I'm often fighting the wind and try to be opposite but now I think this quarter turn is a great idea, can't wait to try it!

Can I ask.. (please forgive me if this is the wrong thread).. do they come in 30gal and 55gal and is there a large difference in what you can fit in them?

Also.. hanging chicken? I tend to smoke till I can almost pull a leg bone out.. lol.. wouldn't they fall off the hooks, or any meat at that?

Just trying to learn about them;)

Thanks!

Russ

Back