Hey all, been reading this thread for awhile

I got a PBC in 2015 and can count on 2 hands the number of times I've used it since then (blasphemy I know!). I'm looking at ramping up use of it this year. I am interested in the PartyQ and I'm curious as to people's opinions on it.

Never cook without it.

Hey guys, been gone a rather long time. You pros are rather intimidating for this backyard cook. But you are also the only people I trust opinions of. So here's my question.
I've had my pit barrel for 4 or 5 years now. Since before the manufacturer moved to California. Kind of a love hate relationship.
Anyway I see that there is a IQ110 and a IQ120 BBQ Temperature Regulator Kit for the Pit Barrel Cooker. What's the difference between the two and has anyone tried this out in the PB? Thanks!

Fire in the hole!

We've been sick or out of town for the last 6-8 weeks, so the PBC has been sitting idle. Today's cook will be two chuckies, two tri-tips and a pork loin. One of the chuckies is destined for pepper stout beef (Grimbergen, anyone?) while the other goes to the freezer to finish on the crockpot some night.

Might give one of the tri-tips to my folks when we head over to dinner tomorrow. Depends on how the pepper stout beef turns out. Might bring them some of both. :)

The pork loin will make leftover meals for the rest of the week.

Fire in the hole!

We've been sick or out of town for the last 6-8 weeks, so the PBC has been sitting idle. Today's cook will be two chuckies, two tri-tips and a pork loin. One of the chuckies is destined for pepper stout beef (Grimbergen, anyone?) while the other goes to the freezer to finish on the crockpot some night.

Might give one of the tri-tips to my folks when we head over to dinner tomorrow. Depends on how the pepper stout beef turns out. Might bring them some of both. :)

The pork loin will make leftover meals for the rest of the week.
Expecting some good pron later. Hope you knock it out of the park.

New Bling

Logo plate has worn out long ago since my PBC is damn near abused so...........

:cool:

bnjyvSHh.jpg

Upper 50's today in St. Louis so thought it was a great day to do some spare ribs and try out a new rub I got for Christmas. Ribs turned out great and liked the rub. A little more savory than I am used to but a nice change of pace.

second cook on the PBC - couple racks of spares. really pleased with how they came out. these were on around 4 1/2 hours and not as tender as i'd like, but i'm learning! going to adjust my lighting technique (thanks andrew!) to get the barrel a little warmer before adding meat.

vIxavxZ.jpg

second cook on the PBC - couple racks of spares. really pleased with how they came out. these were on around 4 1/2 hours and not as tender as i'd like, but i'm learning! going to adjust my lighting technique (thanks andrew!) to get the barrel a little warmer before adding meat.

vIxavxZ.jpg

Looks great. Better than taking a dart in the butt that is for sure!

So I bought some turnbuckles to bring the charcoal basket for searing like the mod on pg. 114. I imagine they are galvanized, they are definitely Zinc coated. I'm wondering if it's ok to use them or should I look for a different option.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.JPG
    IMG_4315.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 257
So I bought some turnbuckles to bring the charcoal basket for searing like the mod on pg. 114. I imagine they are galvanized, they are definitely Zinc coated. I'm wondering if it's ok to use them or should I look for a different option.

You definitely do NOT want to use those for anything food related.

Not sure. It doesn't have to be stainless though. The barrels are just regular steel. Obviously porcelain coated on the outside. The screws and bolts are probably just steel.

Last edited:

Having followed this thread since it's inception and looking at all of the ideas for placing a rack lower in the PBC I would think that Noah would take note and add another 3 off-stickers in the barrel. Folks seem to want to have that option including myself. Tonight I put some beautiful red snapper fillets on the cooker and was wishing that there was a "low rack" option on the PBC.

Seems like a simple solution to something that would definitely add some versatility to the PBC.

Temps should be a guide so always make sure it's probe tender regardless of the internal temp. Rest would've helped also for temps to climb up some while holding and juices to reabsorb. I don't wrap with juice either.

I recently did a second one (smaller, about 5 pounds). Let it rest for a full hour...so much more tender.

Just bend some hooks to hold the basket to the rebar. Then you'll have the high rack with charcoal right underneath.

Back