THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballistic BBQ turkey

I did turkeys last year like that; 1 citrus and one with the all purpose rub. The citrus one had a hint of citrus flavor. Most people preferred the all purpose rub. Though in the end there wasn't any leftovers with 2 13 pound birds for work.

A few months back someone cooked some pbc "fried" chicken but now I can't find the post. I'd like to give it a try. Anyone know where it was in the 350 pages of the thread? Thanks much!

Hi all,

Is there any way to get rid of the creosote flavor when using the PBC? I've noticed on longer cooks (more than 3 hours), when I use a minion method approach, I get a very distinct creosote flavor. When I use both with and without lighter fluid I get the taste. I'm not sure if creosote is the right description, but it's a very dirty smoke type of flavor. A friend mentioned if I didn't use briquettes I wouldn't have an issue. Is this true? What are my options if I don't use briquettes? Has anyone jammed the fire basket with chunks of wood instead?

On a better note, I just finished my first turkey as trial run for Thursday. I'm pretty happy with outcome. A little pink for my liking, but I assume that was from the smoke (wasn't slimy and I'm not sick). My wife's family volunTOLD me I was in charge of cooking the turkey this year. So here's hoping I can reproduce the same results.

Attachments

By minion method I mean not all the coals are lit at once. Maybe the minion method isn't the right verbiage? I'm filling the basket, simulataneously filling a squat chimney, dumping said chimney on non lit coal basket. I usually let that run for 10-15 minutes with no lid before putting my meat on.

I think what you are tasting is the flavor from drippings hitting the coals and creating a "smoke". It's a flavor you either like or don't.
Also, it's not affecting the flavor, but running the PBC with the lid off for 15 minutes will get it too hot. But if it works for you then that's ok.

My temps usually stabilize around 250-270 within 15-20 minutes of the lid being on. I run with the vent closed (or as closed as it will go). I guess I'll have to try an rig something up to get a drip pan in there to test your theory. Thanks for the input.

My temps usually stabilize around 250-270 within 15-20 minutes of the lid being on. I run with the vent closed (or as closed as it will go). I guess I'll have to try an rig something up to get a drip pan in there to test your theory. Thanks for the input.

Try a chicken or tri-tip or flank steak cook using the half basket method and place the meat so it doesn't drip on the coals. See what you think...

Which vent? The intake? That may be part of your problem too. If you are choking off too much airflow from the burn it may smolder and add a bad taste. Depending on your elevation above sea level the intake should be set at least at 1/4.

The exhaust holes should have the rebar in them and you shouldn't have to close those off either?!

Which vent? The intake? That may be part of your problem too. If you are choking off too much airflow from the burn it may smolder and add a bad taste. Depending on your elevation above sea level the intake should be set at least at 1/4.

The exhaust holes should have the rebar in them and you shouldn't have to close those off either?!

Yes the intake at the bottom. As for the exhaust holes, I do have the rebar sitting in them and they are not closed off. I run the cables for my probes through those holes as well.

Depending on what website I use I'm 15ft - 88ft above sea level (pretty big difference IMO). I notice when I have the vent more open any further, the PBC runs at around 310-350. That is a little higher than I prefer. I think in the next few days I'll try the half basket method placing a spatchcocked bird on the side with no coals. If that still puts off an off flavor I'll try to open the vent.

Last edited:
First PBC Turkey cook

Morning everyone.

Looking forward to do my first Turkey PBC for the family this Thanksgiving :grin:

Seems that its going to rain lightly in the lower Hudson Valley on that day.

Has anyone done a long cook on a PBC in these conditions?

Just concerned that the rain will effect the temperature of the cook.

Much thanks in advance!

Morning everyone.

Looking forward to do my first Turkey PBC for the family this Thanksgiving :grin:

Much thanks in advance!

I use my PBC all year long and don't notice any appreciable difference in temps with cold or rain.

Morning everyone.

Much thanks in advance!

I just did my first turkey yesterday and it was raining all day, only I was technically not in the rain. I have a 10x20 carport style canopy that I leave my PBC under full time. Keeps me out of the weather as well as the cooker. The colder temperatures seem to have little effect on the cooks overall.

Yes the intake at the bottom. As for the exhaust holes, I do have the rebar sitting in them and they are not closed off. I run the cables for my probes through those holes as well.

Depending on what website I use I'm 15ft - 88ft above sea level (pretty big difference IMO). I notice when I have the vent more open any further, the PBC runs at around 310-350. That is a little higher than I prefer. I think in the next few days I'll try the half basket method placing a spatchcocked bird on the side with no coals. If that still puts off an off flavor I'll try to open the vent.

I would suggest you try this. Open that vent back to 1/4 open. Then adjust your lighting procedure to use less in the chimney. Start with 25 briquettes. Let them burn for exactly 15 minutes and then once you dump them in the PBC put the rebar in and the lid on and let it settle. I'd be surprised if it goes over 300. You can adjust the number of briquettes up and down on that lighting procedure to increase or decrease the temp. And I bet it's a cleaner burn.

Hi all,

Is there any way to get rid of the creosote flavor when using the PBC? I've noticed on longer cooks (more than 3 hours), when I use a minion method approach, I get a very distinct creosote flavor. When I use both with and without lighter fluid I get the taste. I'm not sure if creosote is the right description, but it's a very dirty smoke type of flavor. A friend mentioned if I didn't use briquettes I wouldn't have an issue. Is this true? What are my options if I don't use briquettes? Has anyone jammed the fire basket with chunks of wood instead?

On a better note, I just finished my first turkey as trial run for Thursday. I'm pretty happy with outcome. A little pink for my liking, but I assume that was from the smoke (wasn't slimy and I'm not sick). My wife's family volunTOLD me I was in charge of cooking the turkey this year. So here's hoping I can reproduce the same results.

Wow! That looks so great!

I use my PBC all year long and don't notice any appreciable difference in temps with cold or rain.

I just did my first turkey yesterday and it was raining all day, only I was technically not in the rain. I have a 10x20 carport style canopy that I leave my PBC under full time. Keeps me out of the weather as well as the cooker. The colder temperatures seem to have little effect on the cooks overall.

Much Thanks comrades!

Since my Son's neighbor has a car port, and she's going to join us for the holiday meal, I'll set it up there :grin:

Feel confident now that I can pull it off now.

Was planning on doing two (2) fifteen pounders, since I ordered two hangers from Noah. Do you think thats OK?

Much Thanks again!

Wow! That looks so great!

Thank you. I was very happy with the outcome.

Much Thanks comrades!

Since my Son's neighbor has a car port, and she's going to join us for the holiday meal, I'll set it up there :grin:

Feel confident now that I can pull it off now.

Was planning on doing two (2) fifteen pounders, since I ordered two hangers from Noah. Do you think thats OK?

Much Thanks again!

I agree with AClarke44, if they fit go for it. If not, you can always spatchcock them.

Question's for the Brethren
Cooking two whole birds with a 4/% solution and I am going to dry brine both using two chunks of Peach.
1: Should I leave the plastic piece in place that comes from the factory to bind the legs or remove it ? I can see it would be more attractive to leave it but not so sure about internal temps. between the thigh/leg portions. My in-laws think boiling cabbage for less than 4hrs will kill you.
2: Feet up or down. I do whole chickens leg down.

Back