THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From everything I've read the PBC does great in cold weather (this will be my first winter with one too)....I did see someone say you may need to crack the lid a little in some cases.

Second question is has anyone ever done a welder's blanket rig on the PBC?

Sorry about the zero amount of presentation involved in these two shots, I'm not much of a photographer. Also I had to do this quickly, some kids are coming over in a little while and I'm pretty sure that at some point the meatloaf is going to vanish.
I used a couple of good-sized chunks of hickory which gave it a wonderful flavor and a delicious smell when I just opened the foil a few minutes ago.

2rxectv.jpg
[/IMG]

2igf6dc.jpg
[/IMG]

A S.S. Scrubby would remove whatever coating is left on the little meatloaf-sized rack I used. I am looking to get a s.s. rack to use in the future but I just used an old one that I had laying around. The meatloaf was a spur of the moment thing. My wife stopped at a great Italian deli/store in the area and bought an Italian meatloaf already made & seasoned that was 0.50/lb cheaper than the price of ground chuck (already in a disposable foil loaf pan). I just dumped it out onto the rack and added it to the cook.
If the coating is that loose, don't you think it should be removed so you don't ingest it? I've been using bare steel racks that I oil or spray with Pam for years, they clean up just fine.

If the coating is that loose, don't you think it should be removed so you don't ingest it? I've been using bare steel racks that I oil or spray with Pam for years, they clean up just fine.

The coating isn't really loose, it has worn away in some areas from using steel wool to clean off crusty remains. The coating isn't coming off in the food.
I'll find something on Amazon to order with some frogmats. At least I'm pretty sure the tasty crunchy bits are carbon based and not some tasty polymer.

Pork butt for Saturday party

Its my nephews birthday tomorrow so they asked me to do a smoked pork butt.I started at 12.30 had previously rubbed with yard bird and injected with apple juice then onto the PBC with some hickory, temps were between 290-320F due to the howling wind. I Wrapped it at 5.15 when it hit 160F then it only took another hour to reach 203F when I pulled and let rest for 40 mins. Opened it up and the bone pulled out clean. Tastes fantastic and is super moist. All ready for tomorrow's party. One question, I have a fair bit of juices from wrapping, could I mix some apple juice into them and add to the pork when it's reheated tomorrow or is there a better way?
Thanks for looking

Looking good and ready to be wrapped

Bone pulled clean out

Super moist and tastes great

One question, I have a fair bit of juices from wrapping, could I mix some apple juice into them and add to the pork when it's reheated tomorrow or is there a better way?
That is my standard approach, UKsmoker. Most of the fat you'd like to be rid of has already rendered by the time you wrap the butt. The juices left in the wrapping is great to keep things moist and flavorful! I mix them in when the meat is pulled.

Its my nephews birthday tomorrow so they asked me to do a smoked pork butt.I started at 12.30 had previously rubbed with yard bird and injected with apple juice then onto the PBC with some hickory, temps were between 290-320F due to the howling wind. I Wrapped it at 5.15 when it hit 160F then it only took another hour to reach 203F when I pulled and let rest for 40 mins. Opened it up and the bone pulled out clean. Tastes fantastic and is super moist. All ready for tomorrow's party. One question, I have a fair bit of juices from wrapping, could I mix some apple juice into them and add to the pork when it's reheated tomorrow or is there a better way?
Thanks for looking

Looking good and ready to be wrapped

Bone pulled clean out

Super moist and tastes great

Looks great! Besides apple juice, one trick I got from others on this forum to reheat pork is with a can of Coke! Works great and, no, doesn't taste like Coke at all. I'll load up the crockpot an hour or so beforehand and just pour in the Coke and set to low to warm up. Great stuff, especially if you got a nice tangy sauce like Blues Hog Tennessee Red for ut.

Pulled at 163 and wrapped. After it rested I had to try some. Really nice smoke ring, super tender and great flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
From everything I've read the PBC does great in cold weather (this will be my first winter with one too)....I did see someone say you may need to crack the lid a little in some cases.

Second question is has anyone ever done a welder's blanket rig on the PBC?

I'm not sure if Georgia has a "winter" but when it gets colder I open my bottom vent from a 1/4 open to 1/3

What're you using for the coal basket? And are those the normal rods or different ones? I'm interested in this setup for quicker direct grill cools like burgers. Love the idea and I have the folding rack and regular rack!

Sorry for taking so long to respond, was out last week. Bob C Que was the originator of this idea (or at least was the first I saw to post it), and he put his 2nd grill on the rebar (in the rebar holes). However, I have the ash catcher installed and the rebar no longer fits.

I originally put the rebar on top of the drum, but having a grate on round poles is a generally bad idea :doh: So I just went to Lowe's and got some square tube, cut it to the same length as the rebar, and now have a stable platform for the 2nd grate.

The coal basket is just lifted up from the bottom and set on the regular grate. I am using the hinged one to cook on.

UAT0n9Yl.jpg

It would be real easy to fabricate an adaptor. The O.D. is 35.25 mm or
~1 3/8 inch, the I.D. is 30.4mm.

I would certainly fab the mounting plate so that the adaptor sits toward the bottom of the draft port rather than the top as the XL adaptor does. I may modify mine at some point although it seems to work just fine as it is.

View attachment 133133

SeaSalted - How do you fire up the PBC with the PartyQ? I assume it has to be a different process than what Noah recommends since you don't have the vent. I have the the PartyQ and I would like to use it today. Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to respond, was out last week. Bob C Que was the originator of this idea (or at least was the first I saw to post it), and he put his 2nd grill on the rebar (in the rebar holes). However, I have the ash catcher installed and the rebar no longer fits.

I originally put the rebar on top of the drum, but having a grate on round poles is a generally bad idea :doh: So I just went to Lowe's and got some square tube, cut it to the same length as the rebar, and now have a stable platform for the 2nd grate.

The coal basket is just lifted up from the bottom and set on the regular grate. I am using the hinged one to cook on.

UAT0n9Yl.jpg

Great idea. I have a 22 inch Weber and am thinking about setting the grate from that right on top of the barrel rim and see how that works. I too now have the ash catcher so setting a second grate on top of the rebar in its normal location is no longer going to work.

so a question to my cold climate brethren, with winter fast approaching here I was wondering do the cooks on a pbc differ much in the winter cold than in the summer. I know there will be some difference but just wondering on what to expect as this will be my first winter with one and I love to que in the winter

I'm just outside of Boston so I can let you know my cold weather experience from last winter. (I got my PBC for Christmas last year so I just have the one winter experience.) Everything I cooked seemed to be on the longer side of the time frame Noah gives on the website but still in that general range. I have found wind speed does more to mess with a cook than temperature (except hot sunny days seem to have an effect).

Back