THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
Earlier this year I had a chance to purchase a package of 44 Farms Choice Black Angus Plate Ribs. I have seen 44 Farms products featured at many of the better BBQ places here in North Texas so I thought I would give them a try.

Wish I would have taken pictures of the raw ribs. I always remove all the silver skin, fat, and membrane off the top of the rib and leave the bottom alone. The marbling on these Plate Ribs looked more like Prime than Choice and I would not hesitate to purchase 44 Farms products again.

Seasoned with a base of Killer Hogs AP Rub followed by just Kosher Salt and 16 mesh Black Pepper. Two Racks barely fit on the PBC Rack, but as they shrank up fit was no problem.

Cooked over B&B briquettes with a couple big chunks of Hickory. I flipped the ribs once per hour and after four hours they were already probing at 195 degrees. I was going to wrap but my bark looked fantastic and they were already close, so I let them go for another hour unwrapped until they hit about 205 internal. Picked up a rack after five hours and the jiggle told me all I needed to know! Done!

Not Bad at all!!!

PBC Plate Ribs I by David Miller, on Flickr

PBC Plate Ribs Cooked by David Miller, on Flickr

PBC Plate Ribs Sliced by David Miller, on Flickr

I'm fortunate enough to own a few different cookers in different price ranges, but I can say without reservation that the Pit Barrel Cooker was the best $300 bucks I've ever spent!

They look amazing. Coincidentally, beef plate ribs were what I made for my last cook. I didn't cook this past weekend, but the weekend prior. I've had mixed results when cooking these, but this last time was fantastic. I think I only had them turn out mediocre one time. That was probably my fault for not following Malcom Reed's guidelines like I usually do. Also, I was overly aggressive with the trimming that time.

Being the only due in the house, these ribs aren't as popular with the rest of the household as they are with me. The ladies like them okay, just not as much as I do.

Nice job on this cook. The smoke ring is gorgeous.

Back