Pepper Stout beef, Pastrami, Cornish Hens and BEER! Live!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
hey guys.. hows it going? Well after all these pastrami and corned beef threads. I decided a week ago If I cooked BBQ I was throwing on corned beef for a Ruben sandwich. Today is that day!

Started off with a walmart corned beef point.. soaked over night changing water ever 3 hrs. Never tried a point for pastrami so this should be good!

Corned beef
Ot2h3Hwl.jpg

Used Thirdeye's rub recipe for pastrami.. Only tried this once and it was great.. so excited to try again for a 2nd time.

BnCFX7Fl.jpg

This beef is roasts from my 1/2 cow I purchased. its 21 day aged Angus beef. I picked out a chuck roast and a Blade Arm Roast.. There's a bone in the blade arm roast. So I'm interested to see how this will effect the meal.

g9IXVSSl.jpg

Using this seasoning on the beef roasts and the cornish hens.

BMIxER1l.jpg

F1nyYiSl.jpg

This is a first for my BBQ brethren posts.. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.. not much of a beer drinker.. if i drink which is on occasion I prefer a few shots of good whiskey. But who would be an idiot to buy a 12 pack of beer just to cook with one bottle :D Down the hatch they go!

Wanted to use a lager for the pepper stout beef.. I also might use one to steam the pastrami when its ready for wrapping. Will this ruin the pastrami I wonder?

UFuRZYvl.jpg

Also you might as what those tiny little pieces of meat are.. It was just trimming from one of the bones I cut off the blade roast. couldn't let it go to waste. Might need a snack :D

Well interesting turn of events... The blade arm roast is at 170 and the chuck roast is at 150.... Hmmm so it cooked much faster.. of course it was a totally different cut. was hoping it would still cook roughly the same time stay tuned for pictures!

Looks good, and I appreciate you not wanting to waste beer. Channeling your inner conservationist in a positive direction.

No reason to waste it :D It's quite refreshing on this nice windy day!

Oh yeah this is looking good.. Some how the blade roast and the chuck roast met in the middle and they both started reading the same temp. here's the pictures!

Outside! This stuff looks great! Cornish Hens.
IjvwKjHl.jpg

Blade Roast on the right, chuck on the left, and corned beef in the middle
1QQofaYl.jpg

Pepperstout beef prepped
IeqeyqMl.jpg

This is a mess waiting to happen but I didn't know how to "steam" the pastrami so I just got a cookie sheet put a roasting rack on it and added a little beer. Then I tented it in the foil.

8ke8ETQl.jpg

The cornish Hen's inside on a plate.. Fixing bushes baked beans to go with it. I cut off a piece of the arm roast.. and man it was delicious!
8hR8h3Dl.jpg

Lookin' great from here.

I don't think those birds would've lasted 10 minutes in this house.

You’ve got quite the cook going on and it all looks great. Hmmmm I believe West Virginia is in my 5 hour driving limit.

You’ve got quite the cook going on and it all looks great. Hmmmm I believe West Virginia is in my 5 hour driving limit.

I believe roughly a 4 hr drive.. depending on the speed limit if your in Pittsburgh.. Ever head down this way give me a shout :p I don't do unexpected visits tho :thumb: Make sure ya bring some of your awesome food! That epic post from yours yesterday was awesome!

Everything was fantastic! Best outdoor cook I've had for a while.. Beats last nights grilled pork tenderloin LOL

Thanks for lookin!

Very Nice I love thirdeye's pastrami recipe I use a deep aluminum pan to steam mine I put rolled up aluminum foil on the bottom to raise the meat and put in the beer Have used lager several times The last time I used Guiness Stout I then cover the pan with foil and steam it that way Works great

Very Nice I love thirdeye's pastrami recipe I use a deep aluminum pan to steam mine I put rolled up aluminum foil on the bottom to raise the meat and put in the beer Have used lager several times The last time I used Guiness Stout I then cover the pan with foil and steam it that way Works great

After eating a sandwich of the pepper stout beef.. I really like what the beer did to it flavor wise. I'm thinking it gives it more of a sweet flavor compared to using beef broth.

Back