Pellet Grill (or other easy to use smokers) Recommendations ,

The MAK is not hard to clean out, I would add a few bucks for a shop vac if you don't have one already and just use that. It does not put out a lot of ash and it's easy to vacuum out. I got a little 3 gallon $40 one for this purpose.

I went with the 2 star mostly because it was the right size for me, the build quality and materials, I liked the company, and it'll put out a lot of smoke but also can sear. All around it's just a great piece of equipment. It's a lot of money, but the build quality on this thing is really top notch.

I think the cheaper alternative for a similar performance in cooking is the smokefire as was suggested, I considered this as well. I think you would be happy with either, so it comes down to what your comfortability is with the cost of each one vs the extra benefits of the MAK.

Well, after smoking on the Copperhead that pjtexas1 and I worked a deal out on, taking a look at his MAK 1 star, spending multiple days reading up on everything in the 800-3k range, and talking with rwalters a bit, I pulled the trigger on a MAK 2 star with a cover and a front shelf.

Came really close to getting Pitts & Spitts, Yoder, Grilla, RecTec, but think everything about the MAK seemed to make sense to me.

Time will tell if I need wi-fi or not - thinking of just using a redicheck for alarms away from the pit

You are definitely on the right path. Considering your budget, I would go with a stainless PG and a Mak 2* would be at the top of my list as would a Pitts and Spitts. I would get a cover either way. A set of grill grates would be a good investment too. There are some posts here with some quality high temp cooks on Maks. Not as great as a Kamado but reasonably good enough. Better than my Rec Tec does, which is still decent all things considered. But with your inferred broiler, some reverse sear steaks would work great.

Good luck with the search. You are in good hands here.

Well, after smoking on the Copperhead that pjtexas1 and I worked a deal out on, taking a look at his MAK 1 star, spending multiple days reading up on everything in the 800-3k range, and talking with rwalters a bit, I pulled the trigger on a MAK 2 star with a cover and a front shelf.

Came really close to getting Pitts & Spitts, Yoder, Grilla, RecTec, but think everything about the MAK seemed to make sense to me.
Welcome to the MAK family! I think you will love it.

You are definitely on the right path. Considering your budget, I would go with a stainless PG and a Mak 2* would be at the top of my list as would a Pitts and Spitts. I would get a cover either way. A set of grill grates would be a good investment too. There are some posts here with some quality high temp cooks on Maks. Not as great as a Kamado but reasonably good enough. Better than my Rec Tec does, which is still decent all things considered. But with your inferred broiler, some reverse sear steaks would work great.

Good luck with the search. You are in good hands here.

I think I would have had trouble passing up the pitts and spitts if I didn't care about direct grilling. I saw one of their stick burners that looks just like the Maverick and it was my favorite looking one.

Congrats brother! Glad to help a brethren out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Really cool you got to try it out first! Glad you settled on a good cooker!

I think I would have had trouble passing up the pitts and spitts if I didn't care about direct grilling. I saw one of their stick burners that looks just like the Maverick and it was my favorite looking one.

Absolutely. Both are great but for direct grilling, the Mak would make more sense. You made a great choice.

The mak is a great grill. It has some weaknesses imo but overall it's really nice for what you want it for.

I do think if I could do it again I'd go the new lsg or pitts and spitts because I almost never use it direct. Even if I want to cook something at 350 for example I just end up leaving the fz covers on.

For reverse searing I'll use the mak and finish on my Weber natural gas grill. The mak takes forever to go from 250/275 to a searing temp imo. Not worth the hassle.

Imo get the wifi. It's really nice to have. Use it all the time.

I came from a bge myself and don't miss it at all. I'll be adding a stick burner for no other reason than wanting to sit around and tend the fire on lazy Saturday/Sunday. Sometimes the mak feels TOO easy. But it's hard to beat it for weekday cooks.

Back