THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bucko

is one Smokin' Farker
Been thinking about camp chef pro pellet smoker at Walmart on sale for 344 dollars seems like a fair price went to buy it then once at Walmart I starting thinking why do I need this I have a wsm and Weber charcoal grill with are great the main reason I bbq is to b outside tending the fire which is easy on wsm adding my favorite wood chunks drinking beer and smelling the sweet smoke I think I enjoy doing all that than actually the food itself I think if I bought a pellet smoker I would miss out on something special to me I think a pellet grill would b like putting meat in the oven and sit around and wait and then what a o I just followed my instinct and passed on the pellet grill got to go now and Stoke the fire on my Weber sure smells good

With your enjoyment of tending a fire, which is minimal on a WSM/kettle... and hearing the way you think... I am confident that you'd be bored to tears with a pellet pooper. With that said, I LOVE my MAK when I am short on time and want to simply turn it on and walk away. But if I have the time, I'll pick sticks or charcoal every single time :)

Ive noted that Backyarders like pelletpoopers because they are Type A people that got to keep moving and the pooper allows them to do other things while the pooper, poops. They do turn out great BBQ though.

I have never had the urge to buy one but maybe if I live to be 90 . I love the tending to pit and enjoy the smell of good wood chunks .

I wouldn't mind having one for some day when I get home late or just want to press the button and cook. Just another good tool to have.

From your description, it would be a waste of money if it was on sale for $9.99...

Ive noted that Backyarders like pelletpoopers because they are Type A people that got to keep moving and the pooper allows them to do other things while the pooper, poops. They do turn out great BBQ though.
Yup. That's me! I have a Traeger at our lake home and a Camp Chef DLX at home plus a Camp Chef LP cabinet smoker at home. I mostly use the cabinet for smoking bacon, putting a AMNPS in the bottom. I haven't fussed with hot smoking in the cabinet since I got the pellet pooper. Too much work and attention to regulate temp and smoke!

what are the 'top tier' pellet smokers? I know yoder is supposed to be awesome. I have had people ask me about pellet smokers and I have no good info for them.

To each his/her own. I added a pellet pooper to my cooker assortment for times I want something smoked but don't have time to set up the WSM, say evenings after work. I can have ribs or chicken on the pooper within 10-15 minutes after turning it on. It doesn't get used as much as my kettle or WSM, but I'm glad it's there when I need it due to time constraints. I'll soon be adding a wood burner so I'll have all the bases covered for a varying degree on how much time I have to invest in my smoking ventures. It all comes down to how you want to cook something and how much time you have to do it.

I have a Memphis Pro pellet smoker. It's great for those days when I have no time to watch a pit. I can let it go til I get finished chasing calves, building fence, or whatever.
Mine puts out tasty food, but in no way compares to the flavor I get from my horizontal wood burner.

I think a pellet grill would b like putting meat in the oven and sit around and wait and then what a o I just followed my instinct and passed on the pellet grill got to go now and Stoke the fire on my Weber sure smells good

It is like using the oven -- except that the food seems to come out more moist and tastes better.

I suspect that most folks would find times when the convenience would come in handy whether they admit that or not. For some, that might be once in several years so wouldn't be worth it. For others, it's frequent. My kids are a bit older now but a few years back I had two kids doing travel soccer (and I was the asst. coach for the one), two more doing dance and one in gymnastics. We had four soccer games each weekend just on that sport. There is basically zero chance I would have been able to smoke anything without a pellet smoker back in those days.

I love mine! It is another tool in the arsenal and I wont be without one. One day if it ever wears out I will upgrade to one of those fancy Yoders but until then the one I have works fine for hassle free stuff.

I wouldn't do it. I've had a WSM since 2011 and back in May I bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boone and I kinda regret it, I think I'm going to try and sell it in the spring. The flavor just isn't there, and this is after adding a Don Godke downdraft, using a pellet tube with wood chips mixed in, and sealing up all the leaks with gasket. The smoke flavor just isn't strong enough in my opinion, and the temperatures are uneven across the grate.

I love my Yoder. I used if for our competition back in August and we took grand champion. I am pleased with the food it turns out. We beat out a lot of stick burners that day.

Just got a Yoder and have not had time to do my first cook on it. One of the reasons I wanted a pellet cooker was to do over night cooks. It is another tool to use. I will not abandon my BGE or Weber just because I have a pellet cooker. They all have different personality's. My next major purchase will be a stick burner. I like them all.

When I bought my Traeger it was between that and a BGE. I was actually leaning towards a BGE after cooking on a buddies and really being impressed.

In the end I went with the Traeger for overnight cooks and being able to leave the house while still cooking and not having to worry about it.

Having said that my next purchase will probably be a Gateway Drum Smoker after being at the royal and talking to a guy about it. I think between that and a pellet pooper it would be a great combo.

Back