THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Last week, I had this great rack of beef ribs. I cooked 1/2 for the rib throw down and kept the other 2 bones for what I had intended to use them for when I got them out of the freezer.

I had seen a recipe for sous vide pastrami a while back and saved it. I didn't bother with the sous vide, but did use the brine and rub recipe here. I scaled things back considerably since I was only making 2 bones, but kept the proportions the same.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-pastrami

Salt, sugar, spices into a pot of water and brought to a boil and cooled down.

Kept it in the brine in the fridge for 7 days. Took it out yesterday......sure wasn't much to look at right now.

Hit it with the rub from the recipe.

Into the smoker at 265 with cherry for the smoke. Couple of hours in and it looked like it was coming along nicely.

At the 6 hour mark, I put foil over the whole tray with water added to create some steam and let it go another two hours. Gave it an hour to rest and wound up with this.

The smell was amazing and I couldn't wait to crack it open.

Oh yeah...........

I had delusions of just eating the damn thing, but after 1 bite, I knew it was too much. Toasted a ciabatta and grabbed some swiss cheese. Gave the meat a rough chop and called it good.

This one is a keeper.

Generally when I try a recipe I come up with something to tweak to suit my tastes, but not this one.......spot on for my taste buds.

Thanks for looking.

Man they look so good. I've done corned beef ribs once when I was corning a brisket I tossed them in and it is a really amazing way to do pastrami. Maybe even better than brisket :-D.

Lookin' good Joe!
I love beef ribs and have always held off "messing" with them. I'd give these a try in a heart beat. Looks delicious!

Me & SweetieUker are sitting here drooling at this. I think this is on our to do list for this upcoming spring.

Wow...that looks unbelievably AMAZING!

Certainly looks like a happy meal to me...

Back