Pastrami Brisket is a must try

Interesting…figured there would be more loss with that style trim job. I guess that is 25% but still. I bought a 15 pounder from Costco today that I plan to trim similarly and corn, we shall see how she trims up.

Interesting…figured there would be more loss with that style trim job. I guess that is 25% but still. I bought a 15 pounder from Costco today that I plan to trim similarly and corn, we shall see how she trims up.

This brisket came in the cyrovac and was already trimmed really well. I only took off 3.5lbs, so your spot on with your observation. Usually, with this style of trim, I'll trim off 5-6lbs on 15lb brisket. I have 3 Costco's within 20 minutes of me, and I drive by them frequently for my job, so I randomly stop to check out the selection and only buy a brisket if it has a thick flat with not too much fat to trim.

Was gonna say, if I were to trim in that style I’d expect more like 9-10 left from a 15-16lb. The 15 pounder I just scored is much like you describe. Lately, I’ve noticed Costco’s packers having a slightly different shape/trim than I’ve historically gotten there.

Was gonna say, if I were to trim in that style I’d expect more like 9-10 left from a 15-16lb. The 15 pounder I just scored is much like you describe. Lately, I’ve noticed Costco’s packers having a slightly different shape/trim than I’ve historically gotten there.

Same here, I'm on the WI/IL border near Lake Michigan. The big 18-22lbs are rarely available anymore, which is fine for me. However, there's been a lot of batches of tiny, narrow briskets, like 10lbs or less. Another weird thing, the 2 Costco's in IL sell the National brand prime briskets, and the WI carries both Excel & National prime briskets. The Excel briskets don't look as good, and there's a ton of blood in the cryovac - but maybe that's a good thing? I should probably try the Excel version to see if it's better.

X3 on funky looking briskets from Costco in the north. The last one I got looked terrible after trimming. Lots of hard fat even past the deckle.

Apologies for highjacking a great pastrami thread. As you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting trimming. Is that the point and flat? The pic looks like the whole piece is almost same height.

Thanks

Yes, it's the whole packer, point & flat. I try to pick out ones that are more even with a thick flat. I can get them to cook more even that way with less maneuvering. I learned to trim using the Jirby brisket YouTube video. https://youtu.be/cbMzJ-qUfRw

I do this for every St Paddy's day. I know it's not true pastrami and it's not really Irish. But it is delicious.

Safe the crunchy, barky bits and make a corned beef hash with runny eggs on top. Might be the best thing I've ever eaten, period.

You weren’t lying!! Thank you for the idea!

Last edited:
Back