Pastrami Brisket is a must try

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
This was my first time making this, and if you haven't tried something like this, it's a must try. It was a 12 day brine and about 13 hours on the pit. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the sandwich! I don't think I've ever been so excited for my leftovers.

Last edited:
Homemade pastrami is amazing. Nice job!

I am smoking short ribs for Pastramied short ribs on Saturday, that I’ve been curing for the last 10 days.

Thank you. I was amazed how well it turned out. I can't wait to experiment with different pickling spice ratios on the next one.

Short ribs sound fantastic!

Hmm. I have a store bought corned beef flat hanging out in the freezer that I bought on sale after St. Paddy's day... I think I just figured out what I'm doing with it! :eusa_clap

I do this for every St Paddy's day. I know it's not true pastrami and it's not really Irish. But it is delicious.

Safe the crunchy, barky bits and make a corned beef hash with runny eggs on top. Might be the best thing I've ever eaten, period.

Safe the crunchy, barky bits and make a corned beef hash with runny eggs on top. Might be the best thing I've ever eaten, period.

How did this not cross my mind - I love a good corned beef hash. Thank you for the idea. I'm going to skip my plan for making a sandwich tonight, and save it all for breakfast tomorrow!

This was my first time making this, and if you haven't tried something like this, it's a must try. It was a 12 day brine and about 13 hours on the pit. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the sandwich! I don't think I've ever been so excited for my leftovers.

The pastrami looks great. Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing the recipe and process that you used.

This was my first try, so maybe other experts who've done this before can let me know what adjustments I should make. I will say though I thought it turned out really good.

It was 8-9lb prime brisket from Costco after the trim.

Recipe for the brine: 1 gal water, 350g kosher salt, 350g brown sugar, 42g pink curing salt, 45g pickling spice, 60g crushed garlic, 5lb ice.

For the rub ratio grind these ingredients together: 4 tbsp of black peppercorn, 4 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp yellow mustard seed.

I put it in a 5 gallon bucket in the fridge for 12 days with the liners below. Removed from the brine and rinsed really well with water, then applied the rub. I smoked it for 13 hours, and then a 3 hour rest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBRTC5...XeHhbnqv7VNIJ77RyMhM00XKlW8GouUxBZ2QhsJRnHrgA

Last edited:
Back