Our hobby in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black's BBQ in Lockhart, Texas, has been in a residential neighborhood since 1932, and they are only 29 miles away. They have never had any issues as far as I know. This has more to do about the sensitive feelings of the emotional Austin crowd than anything else. Aaron need to pull anchor in my view, and kiss Austin adios. His product speaks for itself and folks will seek him out.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1995-06-30/533708/

Black's BBQ in Lockhart, Texas, has been in a residential neighborhood since 1932, and they are only 29 miles away. They have never had any issues as far as I know. This has more to do about the sensitive feelings of the emotional Austin crowd than anything else. Aaron need to pull anchor in my view, and kiss Austin adios. His product speaks for itself and folks will seek him out.

agreed...bunch of people i wouldnt associate with due to those kinds of attitudes....people whine too much these days

But don't you think that's the point?
Black's has been around 80 years.
Anyone moving in knows what they're moving in to.
Franklin's, on the other hand have been there for 4.
They moved into an existing neighborhood and those that predated it don't like it

agreed...bunch of people i wouldnt associate with due to those kinds of attitudes....people whine too much these days

It is interesting to watch the culture of Austin, Tx. being eroded by an influx of outsiders that have no interest or desire of assimilating. Reminds me of the Sriracha pepper incident.

But don't you think that's the point?
Black's has been around 80 years.
Anyone moving in knows what they're moving in to.
Franklin's, on the other hand have been there for 4.
They moved into an existing neighborhood and those that predated it don't like it

As I'm typing this, it is still a free country. It is not government housing, so the emotional sensitive crowd can move IMHO. BBQ joints have come and gone over the last 100+ years in Texas without issue. This recently only seems to have become an issue with the continued influx of the say as I do crowd and damn everyone else. I found it very interesting it took Aaron a trip to city hall to have the issue ironed out. It will rear its ugly head again. Again, Aaron should pull up anchor and or hire a big gun legal firm. It seems that's what it takes these days to open the eyes of the sleepy. I miss the old Austin.

The end of BBQ in Austin?

The Austin city counsel is proposing mandatory smoke scrubbers for Austin BBQ joints-- because some neighbors have complained about the scent.

Scrubbers for many restaurateurs could exceed $100,000 in cost which would cause the demise of most operators. Franklin chimes in.

Now I remember why we keep a stock of tar and feathers on hand.

The story link:

http://www.iamatexan.com/2015/07/25/321austin-city-council-votes-to-ban-bbq-restaurants/

As I'm typing this, it is still a free country. It is not government housing, so the emotional sensitive crowd can move IMHO. BBQ joints have come and gone over the last 100+ years in Texas without issue. This recently only seems to have become an issue with the continued influx of the say as I do crowd and damn everyone else. I found it very interesting it took Aaron a trip to city hall to have the issue ironed out. It will rear its ugly head again. Again, Aaron should pull up anchor and or hire a big gun legal firm. It seems that's what it takes these days to open the eyes of the sleepy. I miss the old Austin.

Wait, are you suggesting part of being a free country is the freedom to move in a neighborhood and infuse that neighborhood with smoke and odors the neighbors deem offensive?
I'd think your right ends when it infringes upon others.

Instead of pulling out or hiring an attorney to fight a losing battle, Aaron could purchase a better filtration system or have given a second thought into building in a residential neighborhood.

It seems here that Aaron is the epitome of the "say as I do crowd and damn everyone else."

I'm all for a good q joint, but being unneighborly and infringing upon the enjoyment of others is no way to do it

Last edited:
It is interesting to watch the culture of Austin, Tx. being eroded by an influx of outsiders that have no interest or desire of assimilating. Reminds me of the Sriracha pepper incident.

oh im not saying there is anything wrong with austin culture, and i can appreciate that it has it, to each his own, its just not for me and why i would never move there...not to mention its home to one of the worst schools in the nation :wink:

"Of course, these regulations are par for the course for a liberal city. Liberals claim to hate big business and love small businesses, but then they love to place so many regulations on the little guy that the environment becomes toxic to entry level entrepreneurs. The ultimate consequence of these policies is that large corporations and governments are the only entities permitted to operate."
http://www.iamatexan.com/2015/07/25/321austin-city-council-votes-to-ban-bbq-restaurants/#

"Of course, these regulations are par for the course for a liberal city. Liberals claim to hate big business and love small businesses, but then they love to place so many regulations on the little guy that the environment becomes toxic to entry level entrepreneurs. The ultimate consequence of these policies is that large corporations and governments are the only entities permitted to operate."
http://www.iamatexan.com/2015/07/25/321austin-city-council-votes-to-ban-bbq-restaurants/#

Would you please stop with the insulting generalizations.
Your statement about liberals is a flat out lie.

If you want to talk about the specifics here, let's do it.
But this has nothing to do with some made up liberal/conservative battle nor is this the place for such a battle.

If there is a discussion to be had here, it is a discussion on what steps a BBQ owner can take to peacefully coexist with a neighborhood and what physical steps can be taken to reduce smoke/odor

The article is written two days ago but cites and is basically copy/pasted from articles that were written before the council decided to rethink their original documentation. Basically, restrictions are still being considered but now with business owner's inputs in addition to the community's and the wording that was first issued by the council has since been retracted. They are still discussing options, but this article cites information that is months old presenting it as new.

Maybe my description of it isn't perfect, but this proposal was debunked a couple of months ago and they are still working on a resolution.

Would you please stop with the insulting generalizations.
Your statement about liberals is a flat out lie.

If you want to talk about the specifics here, let's do it.
But this has nothing to do with some made up liberal/conservative battle nor is this the place for such a battle.

If there is a discussion to be had here, it is a discussion on what steps a BBQ owner can take to peacefully coexist with a neighborhood and what physical steps can be taken to reduce smoke/odor

Don't shoot the messenger it was a copy paste for crying out loud. Now I'm offended. So there!

Now that this was merged....

An article that was written ON APRIL 2, clarifying the statements made in the original article posted two days ago. They'll let anyone have a blog these days. The post is outdated and issued as if it is new information. It's still being discussed, but the original proposal was shoved back at them with quite some force. There are more recent updates than this. If you want to keep up with the political debates in Austin you should keep up on TMBBQ for info, not a copy and paste blog.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/austin-city-council-gets-an-earful-over-barbecue-s/nkmBx/

I'm offended by something too, and I demand compensation. I'm entitled, after all. :becky:

But seriously....

On a side note, I drive through Valley Park Missouri on my way to work.
I pass a massive landfill that dominates the horizon of that town. There is no day that it smells good, much less is even barely tolerable.
In the summer it's just plain offensive and eye watering.
Sometimes I stop at a gas station in the town to refuel and get some cocktails and when I open my door....damn... :shocked:
I can feel the contents of my stomach raise to the bottom of my throat.

On the other hand, there are folks that live down wind of Franklin's BBQ joint.......
Life could be worse.

If the brethren have taught me anything it's that people will learn to love the smell of your pit if you'll throw an extra butt on for them every now and then. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back