Otto Wilde Grill Came in Today

If I remember correctly it's recommended to sear between 600-700 degrees when using Carne Crosta.

You have to be super careful with seasonings on these broilers. If you want to move the food up to the highest positions, you’ll often see the recommendation to only season with salt... and then apply additional seasoning to taste after the sear. That said, I am finding that you can apply seasoning of choice and give the protein a very short time directly under the broiler, and as soon as you have whatcha like, lower the grate down and away from the immediate heat source. Either way, things happen crazy fast and the crusts that I am getting on the proteins are pretty spectacular.

You have to be super careful with seasonings on these broilers. If you want to move the food up to the highest positions, you’ll often see the recommendation to only season with salt... and then apply additional seasoning to taste after the sear. That said, I am finding that you can apply seasoning of choice and give the protein a very short time directly under the broiler, and as soon as you have whatcha like, lower the grate down and away from the immediate heat source. Either way, things happen crazy fast and the crusts that I am getting on the proteins are pretty spectacular.

Stop it!

I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this. :tape: :shock:

Last edited:

I also thought I read that it’s best if it’s directly over the flame. Agree with you on the seasoning especially pepper.

Get it.

Last edited:
So you Farkers what is the main difference in the two grills besides the price and single igniter vs dual? I think the Otto Light sale price point might sway me, plus they're offering another 10% of so $629 for the Light.

So you Farkers what is the main difference in the two grills besides the price and single igniter vs dual? I think the Otto Light sale price point might sway me, plus they're offering another 10% of so $629 for the Light.

I suggest to go big or go home. The regular allows you to adjust each burner individually for non-uniform thickness cuts so one side doesn't get burnt while the other side is getting brown, you can remove the top for cleaning which you will want to do because there is a lot of splatter when you're 1nm from the burner :icon_shy. Finally, you have infinite adjustment compared to preset slots on the lite - which by the way work just fine as that is what I had on my Northfire (before selling and upgrading).

I agree on the go big or go home statement.

If you’re going to go with one of these, then the price difference IMO is justified for the dual burners and the elevating meatometer.

I suggest to go big or go home. The regular allows you to adjust each burner individually for non-uniform thickness cuts so one side doesn't get burnt while the other side is getting brown, you can remove the top for cleaning which you will want to do because there is a lot of splatter when you're 1nm from the burner :icon_shy. Finally, you have infinite adjustment compared to preset slots on the lite - which by the way work just fine as that is what I had on my Northfire (before selling and upgrading).
Thanks K.
I agree on the go big or go home statement.

If you’re going to go with one of these, then the price difference IMO is justified for the dual burners and the elevating meatometer.
Makes sense.

Yep, what these guys said ^^^

I was half tempted to go with the lite version until I really sat down and played the pros/cons through in my head.

Yep, what these guys said ^^^

I was half tempted to go with the lite version until I really sat down and played the pros/cons through in my head.
The price really isn't that much of a difference in long run and I don't mind stepping up. Just ordered a Gateway 30gal Drum, a smart trainer and other cycling equipment for my bikes so I'll need to recover from that before I'll be able to pull the trigger, hopefully they'll stay on sale for another month.

The price really isn't that much of a difference in long run and I don't mind stepping up. Just ordered a Gateway 30gal Drum, a smart trainer and other cycling equipment for my bikes so I'll need to recover from that before I'll be able to pull the trigger, hopefully they'll stay on sale for another month.

Oh, you finally grabbed the Gateway... congrats my friend. When is it expected to arrive?

BTW: Get a 2nd job for crying out loud... a month is a long time to wait and god forbid the sale ends... [emoji27]

Oh, you finally grabbed the Gateway... congrats my friend. When is it expected to arrive?

BTW: Get a 2nd job for crying out loud... a month is a long time to wait and god forbid the sale ends... [emoji27]
Haven't got a shipping notice yet, hoping by next weekend, got a 10# Butt that's ready to break her in, hot and fast.

You should have plenty saved up from the break you took from the forum.

You should have plenty saved up from the break you took from the forum.
Sadly there is some truth that but I managed to spend it elsewhere be it on a high end bicycle and a couple of surf trips.

Don't worry though my slacking days are over, have my eye on that Ooni pizza oven you have too.

Thanks for your review. I briefly considered it as the idea of using it to sear sous vide steaks does appeal to me. But then I saw this Eater video review and saw its limitations and decided to pass. Have you tried using something like weed burner to sear the steaks?

https://youtu.be/WZVfc9r7Bqk

Thanks for your review. I briefly considered it as the idea of using it to sear sous vide steaks does appeal to me. But then I saw this Eater video review and saw its limitations and decided to pass. Have you tried using something like weed burner to sear the steaks?

https://youtu.be/WZVfc9r7Bqk

That vid reminds me of the 1st time I cooked on the WSM.

Yep, switched full tanks and everything :mmph:

I did contact Otto and they were great - I’m thinking a new gas hose would be the next step.

Seems I'm up and running again. I reset the regulator to get the gas flowing but still no start. I thought the burners looked funny so I felt them and noticed some moisture - we have had some crazy wind/rain/hail here in the PNW lately and even though the otto is under a loose grill cover it appears the unit got wet :cry:

Finally I was able to manually light the burners and they stayed blue for quite a while; then I saw a hint of orange/hope and after several more minutes were running what appeared to be full max.

I kept them going for awhile to dry out the unit, and tested on and off again a few times and so far it's working. Will check it out again for dinner tonight and in the meantime will probably order the otto cover :heh:

BTW Otto was great and offered to send me a new hose connection kit but I emailed back and said no need.

Back