Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

After dinner tonight someone came up and said we had the best food in the universe. I question their assessment unless they have unlocked time travel, but I have to say that's one of the broadest compliments I've gotten thus far.

In other news, this week is time for a menu refresh. Back of the napkin math shows food costs creeping up to 40%, so I got some food cost/inventory software to try to tighten things up a bit. It will probably mean a few price tweaks and portion changes, but it's time to get serious about costs before they get out of hand down the line.

Anyone know why french fries aren't made every day in every home in America. The mess involved in the process. If any of you that are advocating for a fryer to do french fries, had to clean the fryer everyday you would think twice about what it takes to make those fries.

Good to see things are going well for you Jeremy.

Our local volunteer fire department has a kitchen that is rented out. Maybe you would also have that option?

Not really, because all of the catering stuff is usually on weekends and I can hardly keep enough food on hand to sustain the restaurant. The new smoker will help, but I still only have two ovens, maxed out fridges, and zero additional hot holding options.

Still thinking about renting a commissary here in town for big order weekends, but that's another can of worms.

did you pick up that smoker yet?

I know its just been sitting there under Paul's carport.

The man has been a little busy, you know. Not sure why everyone is so worried about when he is going to pick up his smoker. I would think that is his business between him and Paul.

Jeremy has been gracious enough to share his journey from planning to opening his restaurant, and no doubt many of us (me included) have wondered "what if" when considering it ourselves. Because of this, we (I) am excited to hear about his new endeavors and to find out what the new smoker will mean for the growth of his bbq empire. Of course it is between him and Paul about when he gets the smoker... but really, he doesn't need to sleep, does he??? :mrgreen:

I just thought he would have had it by now, its been done for a few months.

I was talking to Paul last week and he mentioned it was just sitting there

In other news, this week is time for a menu refresh. Back of the napkin math shows food costs creeping up to 40%, so I got some food cost/inventory software to try to tighten things up a bit. It will probably mean a few price tweaks and portion changes, but it's time to get serious about costs before they get out of hand down the line.

Ouch! That will kill most raunts. Have you done a complete cost analysis on your menu yet? Its worth the time as your bleeding money in food.

I gotta think that the Build a UDS thread with over 12K posts takes that prize. But I have read this thread, not the UDS thread.

Back of the napkin math shows food costs creeping up to 40%

HIT THE SILK! ('chute)
Meaning 27% is the high many strive for. Great to find this out now, rather than in Feb.
Supply prices have gone up across the board.

Wow, 40%, something has to give, or somewhere along your supply chain, you are paying too much.

Although, I have been noting amongst friends out here, the prices of everything are climbing, and it has to do with the sheer number of restaurants opening now. It is incredible how much the demand for restaurant grade supply chain has grown.

Good points by the others about your 40% food cost. Most people think that if a restaurant has as much business as they can handle, then they are making money.

However, this is not always the case for various reasons, including food costs that are too high. Glad to hear you are going to do something about that because it will kill you if you don't.

When if comes to food costs it really depends on the type of food and model you are running. McDonald's might strive for 28-33% while a high end restaurant with $30-$50 plate meals might work at 40-45%. OF COURSE, IT IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE WATCHED CLOSELY. JUST LIKE LABOR, Utilites, Sales per day/Sales per day of week. That is why it is tough to start a restaurant. You gotta be there to cook and serve the food and then also spend time managing the money because most feel no one will do a better job than them.

Thanks for posting Jeremy. It has been a treat to follow your experience.

I gotta think that the Build a UDS thread with over 12K posts takes that prize. But I have read this thread, not the UDS thread.

Lol...when i first saw that thread I thought...great every thing I need to know about a UDS...then I saw the page count and about fainted...no way i can read all that.

Getting your profit margin in line is a lot of work! My Legion has almost been bankrupt a couple times. For us it worked out better charging a little more rather than cutting portions...we have some pretty big boys in farm country and they like to eat! Our manager also seems to switch suppliers allot...for some reason around here the suppliers don't reward loyalty...Tough balancing act!

Back