Old Country Over/Under: First Impressons

I am glad yours is working for you. I bought one a year ago but could not get the thing above 225-250 even with a huge fire in the firebox! I took it back and got a wrangler and it is a fine cooker. I think there was something wrong with the airflow with mine, I have read good reviews from other folks. Congrats!

Jack

Blu, you're making me think that this cooker may be my future replacement for Cyclops once it completely rusts out. The SFB is already halfway there, some of my gasketing mods have fallen apart.

I know I won't want to buy another high end one from LSG or Shirley after my big trailer is here.

I did the first long cook yesterday and it went pretty smooth but I'm still in the learning curve. One thing that I noticed is the fire grate started to clog about 5 hrs in causing the coal bed to cool down. I will be replacing it with either a frame & expanded design or if I can find it a piece of catwalk. That aside the smoke flavor on that shoulder was some of the best I have had. Yesterdays shoulder was a tad over 9 lbs cooking between 275 & 300 grate temp it was done in just over 6 hrs. due to the efficiency afforded by the design.
The design of the pit is IMO superior to anything in this price range. With the fire being completely isolated there are no hot spots it acts like a convection oven. The smoke rolls in a counter clockwise draft; it rolls across the bottom up the front and across the grates before going out the stacks similar to a RF but without the hot spot associated with the RF plate.

Blu, when you get a chance, please post some shots of the pit from different angles, outside, inside, firebox, baffle, etc. Their website doesn't have em yet. Thank you kindly.

IMG_20160125_104906.jpg

IMG_20160125_164431.jpg

IMG_20160125_164708.jpg

IMG_20160125_165119.jpg

Yeah I still love it!:becky:

I'm considering getting an over and under. Would using charcoal briquettes with wood chunks work with this smoker?

Back